Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bandwidth Restrictions

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Bandwidth Restrictions

Posted Nov 16, 2014 10:51 PM

Hello all.  I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.  I have two SSID's, both are open right now, but I plan to password protect one of them.  Anyway, the second open SSID needs to have the bandwidth restricted to say 2mb up/down.  I am not and will not be using any type of authentication on this SSID as I want guests in our buidling to just be able to use it without any hassles.  This SSID is also on a separate VLAN to keep the traffic off of our main network.  Any help would be great!  Oh, and we are using an XM3200 controller and AP-125 AP's on 6.3.  I just finally got our PEFNG license working correctly without needing authentication. Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Bandwidth Restrictions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2014 10:53 PM
    In the user-role you are assigning to that SSID, add a bandwidth contract and use the "per-role" option.

• 3.  RE: Bandwidth Restrictions

Posted Nov 16, 2014 11:04 PM

Ok, so I created a new user role and copied the logon roles (same firewall rules) but added 3mbps bandwidth contract, and then applied that to my AAA profile for my guest SSID for the initial role.  Sound like that might work?  Of course I can't test it unitl morning at the office.

• 4.  RE: Bandwidth Restrictions

Posted Nov 17, 2014 09:47 AM

Ok, so I tested this this morning.  I set it at 3,000 kbps, which should be close to 3mb, and it timed out trying to even ping anything.  So I bumped it up to 6,000kbps, and then it worked, but ping times were horrible.  After switching back to unenforced, it worked like it should.  Any thoughts to why this would be?  Also, is this contract, even set per role, giving every user that amount of bandwidth, or is it shared across the board with anyone on that SSID?  If i set it per user, would that help, or is that only if you authenticate?  Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Bandwidth Restrictions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2014 10:02 AM

gbguy,

If you set it to "per role" ALL users will share 3mb and that would be paintful.  Change it to per user so that each users gets 3mb.