Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bandwith test AP225

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Bandwith test AP225

Posted Mar 14, 2016 10:01 AM

Hi,

I have an AP-225 and I'd like to test its bandwith.

I have a Macbook Pro which supports 802.11ac Wifi, all my ethernet cables support the gigabit and so does the switch. 

I'm using iperf as a server on a computer wired to the switch, and iperf as a client on the Macbook. The maximum bandwith I get is 150 Mbp/s. The datasheet says that the AP supports 1.3 Gbp/s.

Do you know how can I get a better bandwith ? I know that I can't get 1.3 Gbp/s but 600 Mbp/s should be reachable, right ? 

Thank you in advance for yours answers !

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2016 10:07 AM

What iperf string are you using? Does your switch support jumbo frames? What controller are you using, or is this an IAP? What is the server and what string are you running on it?

• 3.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

Posted Mar 14, 2016 10:41 AM

I'm using iperf v2.

My switch supports the jumbo frames.

I'm using a 3600 as controller.

The server is the computer wired to the swith and the client is the macbook. Both work with iperf v2, in tcp. Or is that something else that you asked ?

More informations : The AP 225 is connected to the switch. The switch is connected to the controller and to the computer (which is the server of my iperf)

• 4.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2016 12:21 PM

The mac that you are connecting with, when you click on Apple-Airport, what is the speed, band and mcs does it say the laptop is connected at?

• 5.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

Posted Mar 15, 2016 03:46 AM

Band 5ghz, 80 Mhz

Speed Between 1050 and 1300 Mbps

MCS Between 7 and 9

• 6.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 09:21 AM

you need to make sure you are setting frame size to between 512 and 2K, as well as running 6-8 simultaneous streams to get maximum performance. I'm not familiar with Iperf v2 so I don't know the command strings but it should be documented somewhere.

• 7.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 09:40 AM

@nbemowski wrote:

Band 5ghz, 80 Mhz

Speed Between 1050 and 1300 Mbps

MCS Between 7 and 9

If you cannot enable jumbo frames on your switching infrastructure, you should change the Virtual AP forwarding mode to "Decrypt Tunnel".  In addition, your iperf string should have the Window Size at 512k or larger ( -w 512k).

• 8.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

Posted Mar 15, 2016 10:52 PM

@nbemowski wrote:

Just a side note here, but the 3600 doesn't support jumbo frames.  You'll need a 7200 controller for that.  So any large frames (A-MSDUs) sent over the air will get fragmented at the AP. It is said that this will have some effect on throughput, but I've never attempted to measure it.

• 9.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 11:55 PM

@thecompnerd wrote:

@nbemowski wrote:

Just a side note here, but the 3600 doesn't support jumbo frames.  You'll need a 7200 controller for that.  So any large frames (A-MSDUs) sent over the air will get fragmented at the AP. It is said that this will have some effect on throughput, but I've never attempted to measure it.

The Compnerd,

Please see the following passage from the 802.11ac Networks VRD here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/242637

"Decrypt-Tunnel Mode

When an AP uses decrypt-tunnel forwarding mode, it decrypts and decapsulates all 802.11 frames from a client and sends the 802.3 frames through the GRE tunnel to the controller, which then applies firewall policies to the user traffic. When the controller sends traffic to a client, the controller sends 802.3 traffic through the GRE tunnel to the AP, which then converts it to encrypted 802.11 and forwards to the client. In decrypt-tunnel mode, the encryption/decryption of traffic happens at the AP. The mobility controller still acts as the aggregation point for terminating data traffic. In this mode, the AP-Client pair can take full advantage of A- MSDU and A-MPDU aggregation on the WLAN radio side without requiring the wired network to transport the jumbo frames, because the AP is performing all assembly aggregation and de-aggregation locally."

• 10.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

Posted Mar 16, 2016 12:16 AM

Colin, thanks for informing me of that exception.

• 11.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

Posted Mar 16, 2016 11:34 AM

Thanks to all for your responses.

So I tried to do the simulation as you said, in decrypt tunnel mode, with a windows size at 512k. I also tried this on a new controller, a 3400. I had the same results as before : about 150 Mbp/s maximum.

Then I tried the same simulation with 4 simultaneous streams : they were all at about 90 Mbp/s for a total of 350 Mbp/s. It's already better even if it's still not the maximum I can get. 

I'd like to achieve this in order to show the power of the Aruba APs to new customers.

• 12.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

Posted Mar 16, 2016 11:42 AM
    It's tempting to show off 11ac speeds, but high speeds aren't necessarily a
    good indicator of WiFi performance. For instance, in high density
    deployments, you'll have to use smaller channel widths in order to reduce
    co-channel interference. You cut your bandwidth in half each time going
    from 80, to 40, to 20. At that point your customer will never see the fast
    rates you demoed for them. So don't get stuck in the marketing hype and
    focus on deploying stable, consistent WiFi.

• 13.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2016 11:51 AM

@nbemowski wrote:

Thanks to all for your responses.

So I tried to do the simulation as you said, in decrypt tunnel mode, with a windows size at 512k. I also tried this on a new controller, a 3400. I had the same results as before : about 150 Mbp/s maximum.

Then I tried the same simulation with 4 simultaneous streams : they were all at about 90 Mbp/s for a total of 350 Mbp/s. It's already better even if it's still not the maximum I can get. 

I'd like to achieve this in order to show the power of the Aruba APs to new customers.

The 3400 and the 3600 were made before 802.11ac came out, hardware-wise, so they were not designed for throughput tests like that.  Before I ask you to use a 7200 series controller, instead,  please try using the iperf string below:

iperf –c <ip-address of Server> -w 1M –P 1 –t 60 –N

What is the encryption on the SSID you are using?

Do you have Drop Broadcast and Multicast Enabled on that SSID?

What is the channel utilization on that access point on the 5ghz band?

• 14.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

Posted Mar 16, 2016 12:14 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

The 3400 and the 3600 were made before 802.11ac came out, hardware-wise, so they were not designed for throughput tests like that.  Before I ask you to use a 7200 series controller, instead,  please try using the iperf string below:

iperf –c <ip-address of Server> -w 1M –P 1 –t 60 –N

We tried "iperf –c <ip-address of Server> -w 1M –P 1 –t 60 –N" and this changes nothing.

- We tried with AES, 802.1x and open

- No, it's disabled

- 0%, we did a completely new network in our lab to test it.

I hope I won't have to buy a 7200 to succeed !

• 15.  RE: Bandwith test AP225
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2016 12:25 PM

nbemowski,

I hope you won't be selling customers 3400s or 3600s, because they are end of sale.   The suggested replacements also cost less  the 3400 or 3600, so it is a better value.  http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/support/EOS_Notice_3000_Series_Controllers.pdf   If you want performance, you need to use equipment that is modern and designed for that type of throughput you are testing.  Technology marches forward all of the time, and while we can get things to work, if you are talking about maximum theoretical throughput, you need to use something designed for that task.

• 16.  RE: Bandwith test AP225

Posted Mar 16, 2016 12:31 PM

Well I'll probably buy an IAP 225 or 325 later. I'll come back to you if this still doesn't work !

Thank you for trying to help me.

Sincerely yours,

Nicolas