Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Bandwith test AP225

Hi,

I have an AP-225 and I'd like to test its bandwith.

I have a Macbook Pro which supports 802.11ac Wifi, all my ethernet cables support the gigabit and so does the switch. 

I'm using iperf as a server on a computer wired to the switch, and iperf as a client on the Macbook. The maximum bandwith I get is 150 Mbp/s. The datasheet says that the AP supports 1.3 Gbp/s.

Do you know how can I get a better bandwith ? I know that I can't get 1.3 Gbp/s but 600 Mbp/s should be reachable, right ? 

Thank you in advance for yours answers !

Re: Bandwith test AP225

What iperf string are you using? Does your switch support jumbo frames? What controller are you using, or is this an IAP? What is the server and what string are you running on it?

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer

I'm using iperf v2.

My switch supports the jumbo frames.

I'm using a 3600 as controller.

The server is the computer wired to the swith and the client is the macbook. Both work with iperf v2, in tcp. Or is that something else that you asked ?

More informations : The AP 225 is connected to the switch. The switch is connected to the controller and to the computer (which is the server of my iperf)

Guru Elite

The mac that you are connecting with, when you click on Apple-Airport, what is the speed, band and mcs does it say the laptop is connected at?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Band 5ghz, 80 Mhz

Speed Between 1050 and 1300 Mbps

MCS Between 7 and 9

you need to make sure you are setting frame size to between 512 and 2K, as well as running 6-8 simultaneous streams to get maximum performance. I'm not familiar with Iperf v2 so I don't know the command strings but it should be documented somewhere.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Guru Elite

nbemowski wrote:

Band 5ghz, 80 Mhz

Speed Between 1050 and 1300 Mbps

MCS Between 7 and 9

If you cannot enable jumbo frames on your switching infrastructure, you should change the Virtual AP forwarding mode to "Decrypt Tunnel".  In addition, your iperf string should have the Window Size at 512k or larger ( -w 512k).

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

nbemowski wrote:

Just a side note here, but the 3600 doesn't support jumbo frames.  You'll need a 7200 controller for that.  So any large frames (A-MSDUs) sent over the air will get fragmented at the AP. It is said that this will have some effect on throughput, but I've never attempted to measure it.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

thecompnerd wrote:

nbemowski wrote:

Just a side note here, but the 3600 doesn't support jumbo frames.  You'll need a 7200 controller for that.  So any large frames (A-MSDUs) sent over the air will get fragmented at the AP. It is said that this will have some effect on throughput, but I've never attempted to measure it.

The Compnerd,

Please see the following passage from the 802.11ac Networks VRD here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/242637

"Decrypt-Tunnel Mode

When an AP uses decrypt-tunnel forwarding mode, it decrypts and decapsulates all 802.11 frames from a client and sends the 802.3 frames through the GRE tunnel to the controller, which then applies firewall policies to the user traffic. When the controller sends traffic to a client, the controller sends 802.3 traffic through the GRE tunnel to the AP, which then converts it to encrypted 802.11 and forwards to the client. In decrypt-tunnel mode, the encryption/decryption of traffic happens at the AP. The mobility controller still acts as the aggregation point for terminating data traffic. In this mode, the AP-Client pair can take full advantage of A- MSDU and A-MPDU aggregation on the WLAN radio side without requiring the wired network to transport the jumbo frames, because the AP is performing all assembly aggregation and de-aggregation locally."

Colin Joseph

Colin, thanks for informing me of that exception.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: