Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Best way to manage Broadcast & multicast traffic

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Best way to manage Broadcast & multicast traffic

Posted May 01, 2017 05:50 PM

My vlans are in a large /18 network I would like to know the best way to manage bc/mc traffic? Right now we have broadcast-filter all on some VAPS not all. After I reviewed the user guide the options I have are below. Were not doing any video muliticasting or using airprint. 

-          Enabled bc-mc optimization on the SSIDs.

-          Enabled BC-MC optimization on the vlans.

-          Enabled DMO in the virtual ap profile.

-          broadcast-filter all on the virtual AP

Seems to me if use these 2 options should cover it the rest above are just redundant. 

-          broadcast-filter all on the virtual AP

-          Enabled BC-MC optimization on the vlans.

• 2.  RE: Best way to manage Broadcast & multicast traffic
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2017 07:14 PM
    Turning on bcmc optimization on the vlan functions as broadcast filter all on the vap. Any VAP tied to that VLAN will have downstream broadcasts dropped.

Bcmc optimization​ on the SSID basically sends multicast traffic at higher rates (up to 24 meg). If you do not have true multicast in your environment, it will not make a difference to enable that.

Bcmc optimization at the vlan level is pretty much the one you need to accomplish your goals.

• 3.  RE: Best way to manage Broadcast & multicast traffic

Posted May 01, 2017 07:36 PM

So I should remove broadcast-filter all from the VAPS and just      Enabled BC-MC optimization on the vlans should take care of it. 

Thanks 

• 4.  RE: Best way to manage Broadcast & multicast traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2017 08:57 PM

You could, yes.