Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Best way to manage Broadcast & multicast traffic

[ Edited ]

My vlans are in a large /18 network I would like to know the best way to manage bc/mc traffic? Right now we have broadcast-filter all on some VAPS not all. After I reviewed the user guide the options I have are below. Were not doing any video muliticasting or using airprint. 

-          Enabled bc-mc optimization on the SSIDs.

-          Enabled BC-MC optimization on the vlans.

-          Enabled DMO in the virtual ap profile.

-          broadcast-filter all on the virtual AP

Seems to me if use these 2 options should cover it the rest above are just redundant. 

-          broadcast-filter all on the virtual AP

-          Enabled BC-MC optimization on the vlans.

Guru Elite

Re: Best way to manage Broadcast & multicast traffic

Turning on bcmc optimization on the vlan functions as broadcast filter all on the vap. Any VAP tied to that VLAN will have downstream broadcasts dropped.

Bcmc optimization​ on the SSID basically sends multicast traffic at higher rates (up to 24 meg). If you do not have true multicast in your environment, it will not make a difference to enable that.

Bcmc optimization at the vlan level is pretty much the one you need to accomplish your goals.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

So I should remove broadcast-filter all from the VAPS and just      Enabled BC-MC optimization on the vlans should take care of it. 

Thanks 

Guru Elite

You could, yes.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: