Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bit of advice on supposed 11g client

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Bit of advice on supposed 11g client

Posted Mar 05, 2012 06:28 AM
      |   view attached

Hi All,

I am puzzled by some data I've been gathering on a client device. On the attached screenshot, the device never gets above 11M on the Packet Rate Distribution chart. The device is suppose to support 802.11g, but would I be right in thinking it doesn't seem to be the case? Probably isn't relevent but the device sends tiny amounts of data and probably doesn't send more than about 10MB per day.

I've confirmed this behaviour on a Colubris AP as well, so it's definately not limited to Aruba APs and I've also confirmed that other devices (Laptops) do use all other rates upto and including 54Mbps.

Any thoughts?

• 2.  RE: Bit of advice on supposed 11g client

Posted Mar 05, 2012 01:49 PM

Do you know the data rates supported by the device?  Could be how the device is configured as well.

-Mike

• 3.  RE: Bit of advice on supposed 11g client

Posted Mar 06, 2012 06:13 AM

Hi Mike,

there is no configuration as such on the device except for channels, IP and security options. I'll see if I can find out what data rates it supports also, thanks.

• 4.  RE: Bit of advice on supposed 11g client

Posted Mar 30, 2012 05:30 PM

Do you have any 802.11b clients connected in the same channel that you are in? If you do, check your 802.11g Traffic Management Profile, located in AP-Group -> QOS. You'll want to set the priority of your SSIDs for BW allocation, but more importantly set Station Shaping Policy to "preferred-access". This way 802.11b clients wont slow down 802.11g clients.

• 5.  RE: Bit of advice on supposed 11g client

Posted Apr 06, 2012 10:20 AM

Hi,

All devices on the SSID are the same and support 11g, I suppose it's possible another device on another SSID could be limited to 11b on the same AP. I'll see if I can find a scenario where only this SSID exists so I know no other devices will be associated.

Under what circumstances would an 11b client in the area cause the slowdown? You mention the same channel, is that including unrelated APs, I assumed it would only be clients on the same Radio? Is there an Aruba document or ortherwise that can explain it that you could link me to?

• 6.  RE: Bit of advice on supposed 11g client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2012 10:40 AM

A packet capture would indicate what rates that client supports.