Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Blacklist Mac Address Question/Help

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Blacklist Mac Address Question/Help

Posted Nov 07, 2017 09:46 AM

hello. im am curious to know if there is a way to block a MAC address from connecting to access points on the Aruba Management Console? Im running AirWave Management Platform 8.2.5 with IAP 205's running version 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.9. I have a mac address thats eating up a lot of bandwdith and i need to block it so it can never connect again.

• 2.  RE: Blacklist Mac Address Question/Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2017 10:08 AM

Unfortunately, there is no way to blacklist from Airwave.

• 3.  RE: Blacklist Mac Address Question/Help

Posted Nov 07, 2017 10:10 AM

ok thanks for the information.

• 4.  RE: Blacklist Mac Address Question/Help

Posted Nov 07, 2017 12:37 PM

@cjoseph

i found this on the security tab of the vc inside of airwave. does this not work?

Airwave1.PNG

• 5.  RE: Blacklist Mac Address Question/Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2017 03:22 PM

That sets the blacklist timers on the IAP.  You cannot blacklist individual devices from that menu.  Blacklisting individual devices is what you want to do, right?

• 6.  RE: Blacklist Mac Address Question/Help

Posted Nov 07, 2017 03:30 PM

yes, thats what im trying to do and this is where im at with it currently

Airwave3.PNGaruba1.PNGfor some reason i cannot get rid of the mismatchfor some reason i cannot get rid of the mismatch

• 7.  RE: Blacklist Mac Address Question/Help

Posted Nov 07, 2017 03:37 PM

i think i got it to work by making the capital letters lowercase. there are no more mismatches and its showing it on the CLI interface as blacklisted permanent.

• 8.  RE: Blacklist Mac Address Question/Help
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 10, 2018 02:40 PM

Just to update this post as i have had people ask me about this and ive directed them to my post here. Yes, this works on Airwave as i have successfully block multiple devices using this method. Steps to take if they are unclear.

1. Make sure on your configured SSID in the securtiy field that Blacklisting is enabled. 

BL1.PNG

2. On the Security section in the left hand column click on Blacklisting and click new. Enter the MAC address of device to blacklist. 

BL2.PNG

!!!...It is important to remeber here that the letters in the MAC address need to be lower case or this will not work...!!!

Once you have configured this, the device should no longer be able to access the wireless after a certain amount of time. I am not sure how long it takes to affect the device, but i have tested this on numerous devices and it works.