Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Branch-Office Airplay deployment

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Branch-Office Airplay deployment

Posted Oct 14, 2013 08:53 AM

Our college has a Wireless network deployed with redundant 7210 controllers and mostly AP105 accesspoints.

All traffic is in tunneling mode, bandwith is not an issue between the different buildings; we use 10Gbit links.

One of our schools is preparing for a major reconstruction and has rented several small buildings in the vicinity of the old building.

We only have 'small' links to these locations; mostly air bridges and vpn's on cable connections.

To cover these locations, i need about 3 - 5 (r)ap's per site.

Management decided that the teachers get some new toys: Apple Tv's....

Our wireless is ready and tested for that (Clearpass integration). It works fine in the main buildings.

For the new small sites, i want (and need) to keep the Airplay traffic local.

The apple tv's and end-user devices are in separate vlans and are routed at a central location.

There are no layer 3 devices at the different locactions. This normally  works fine because , all the traffic goes to the main site anyway.

How should i configure the (r)ap's at the small sites? In split tunnel mode? with a local router?

I read somewhere that roaming is not supported when using a rap with a split-tunnel...?

We still have to purchase the equipment for these locations, so we can still decide on the type of (r)ap or iap.

Any idea's are welcome.

Lars.

• 2.  RE: Branch-Office Airplay deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2013 01:05 PM

I would recommend the IAP.  Not only do they support Airplay with ClearPass, you will not need to worry about roaming as you would in the RAP scenario.