Wireless Access

New Contributor

Branch-Office Airplay deployment

Our college has a Wireless network deployed with redundant 7210 controllers and mostly AP105 accesspoints.

All traffic is in tunneling mode, bandwith is not an issue between the different buildings; we use 10Gbit links.

One of our schools is preparing for a major reconstruction and has rented several small buildings in the vicinity of the old building.

We only have 'small' links to these locations; mostly air bridges and vpn's on cable connections.

To cover these locations, i need about 3 - 5 (r)ap's per site.

Management decided that the teachers get some new toys: Apple Tv's....

Our wireless is ready and tested for that (Clearpass integration). It works fine in the main buildings.

For the new small sites, i want (and need) to keep the Airplay traffic local.

The apple tv's and end-user devices are in separate vlans and are routed at a central location.

There are no layer 3 devices at the different locactions. This normally  works fine because , all the traffic goes to the main site anyway.

How should i configure the (r)ap's at the small sites? In split tunnel mode? with a local router?

I read somewhere that roaming is not supported when using a rap with a split-tunnel...?

We still have to purchase the equipment for these locations, so we can still decide on the type of (r)ap or iap.

Any idea's are welcome.

Lars.

Re: Branch-Office Airplay deployment

I would recommend the IAP.  Not only do they support Airplay with ClearPass, you will not need to worry about roaming as you would in the RAP scenario.

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: