Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Built in licenses on controllers

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Built in licenses on controllers

Posted Aug 23, 2012 07:27 AM

Hi

New to Aruba networks and just got back from the bootcamp.

Have a quick question about something I though I remembered the instructor saying at the bootcamp that I have not been able to find in any user guide, release notes or through google.

Does controllers come with built in licenses for APs from the factory? Can one see these built-in licenses (if they exist) in the GUI or on the CLI? Is it correct that they are removed if one does write erase all? Is the amount and type of licenses included (if any indeed are included) detailed in some document somewhere?

• 2.  RE: Built in licenses on controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2012 07:29 AM

Older controllers did have part numbers that had built-in AP licenses.  The only way you would know is on the inventory page or by typing "show inventory" and the part number would be something like 3400-32.  The licensing page would show the licenses, but would NOT differentiate.  You would only know by looking at the part number.

• 3.  RE: Built in licenses on controllers

Posted Aug 23, 2012 08:17 AM

Hi

show inventory on CLI

SC      Model#                  : Aruba3200

Model according to https://licensing.arubanetworks.com

3200-8

does this mean that there is or should be 8 AP licenses, but no WIP or PEFNG licenses, or are there no included licenses?

• 4.  RE: Built in licenses on controllers

Posted Aug 23, 2012 08:53 AM

Yes, a 3200-8 has  8 'embedded' AP licenses.

There are no PEF-NG and no RFP licenses embedded (those need to be added)

JF

• 5.  RE: Built in licenses on controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2015 10:19 AM

I know I'm reviving an old thread but in case anyone else searches and finds this like me, the only sure fire way I've found is to either do a "show slots"....

#show slots  

Slots 
    ------
    Slot  Status   Card Type
    ----  ------   ---------
    1     Present  A3400-32

...or if that doesn't please you do a show license and a show ap license-usage together to see if there are more AP licences available than installed.

#show license verbose  

License Table
    -------------
    Key                                               Installed   Expires  Flags  Service Type
    ---                                               ---------   -------  -----  ------------
    xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxx  2015-01-01  Never     E     RF Protect: 32
                                                      12:39:24                     
    xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxx  2015-01-01  Never     E     Access Points: 32
                                                      12:39:42                     
    xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxx  2015-01-01  Never     E     Next Generation Policy Enforcement Firewall Module: 32
                                                      12:39:58                     

License Entries: 3

Flags: A - auto-generated; E - enabled; R - reboot required to activate

#show ap license-usage  

Total AP Licenses			: 64
    Remote-Node AP Licenses Used		: 0
    AP Licenses Used			: 19

as noted above, a show inventory doesn't actually do it, just returns the base model.

• 6.  RE: Built in licenses on controllers

Posted Jan 14, 2016 10:02 AM

Just to clarify... the embedded license will not show up as an installed license (show license verbose).  And the only way to verify that it is there is to see the difference in the limits, is this correct?

• 7.  RE: Built in licenses on controllers

MVP
    Posted Jan 14, 2016 10:07 AM

true, they do not show up as a normal license but false as you can verify them using the following command: "

show license client-table 

This clearly states if there are built-in licenses or not:

#show license client-table

Built-in limit: 0
    License Client Table
    --------------------