Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

CAP and RAP distinction over MPLS/private IPSEC networks

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  CAP and RAP distinction over MPLS/private IPSEC networks

Posted Feb 02, 2015 06:11 AM

Aruba makes a capital distinction between CAP and RAP. In terms of capacity on a controller, 1 CAP kills 4 RAP's, that is how I look at it.

But it appears that on a private ipsec or mpls network, there is no technical reason for this distinction. Or am I mistaken ? Sure, we tunnel twice with a RAP but that is a small price to pay between 8 AP or 32 AP's on a W620.

This is not a rant : I appreciate/respect businessmodels, aruba-personnel need to get paid, Aruba Networks deserves to grow etc etc.

It's just that the distinction is so great & blatant, that I feel I missed something in the configuration and I look for justification in the business side.  

thx for killing this one for me

• 2.  RE: CAP and RAP distinction over MPLS/private IPSEC networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 02, 2015 06:54 AM
    Not sure I understand your question. 

Generally on an MPLS network, you would use them as campus APs. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 3.  RE: CAP and RAP distinction over MPLS/private IPSEC networks

Posted Feb 02, 2015 07:20 AM

I see what you mean, but consider this :

If i configure ALL my AP's as RAP - even those that live on the campus of the controller, then I have the capacity of 32 AP on a W620, instead of 8. Why wouldn't I do that, on a gigabit network ?

• 4.  RE: CAP and RAP distinction over MPLS/private IPSEC networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 02, 2015 07:32 AM
    Because you would lose some critical campus AP features that are needed in a campus environment. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 5.  RE: CAP and RAP distinction over MPLS/private IPSEC networks

Posted Feb 02, 2015 07:39 AM

Kindly name me one for inspiration.

• 6.  RE: CAP and RAP distinction over MPLS/private IPSEC networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 02, 2015 08:15 AM

Nerve,

Please relay your concerns to your local Aruba salesperson so that they can understand your specific issue.  In the newer 7000 series controllers the AP to Remote AP ratio is 1:1.   http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/matrix-mobility-controller.pdf

• 7.  RE: CAP and RAP distinction over MPLS/private IPSEC networks

Posted Feb 02, 2015 10:23 AM

thank you Sir !