Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

CLI help

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  CLI help

Posted Jun 29, 2012 05:59 PM

I did some searching to see if a topic exists on this but unfortunately terms like "IP address" and "config" are as common as "if" and "or" in network forums. I recently reset my controller, and after some drama got into its configuration setup via console cable (thanks jfernyc).

It seems that mid setup I misconfigured the IP address as I am unable to access the Web GUI. Pings fail. I have the GbE Link/Act port 8 connected to my switch and have lights above the connectors, so layer 1 is solid.

I am referring to some commands in the ArubaOS 6.1 CLI Reference Guide and I found what I think is the answer to my question, but I am having trouble with the syntax, or its not the right one for my mobility controller.

the bookmark for the command "interface mgmt" is what I am looking at. I log into my controller, enable, and then conf t to get to configure mode.

I have tried

(config) #interface mgmt

plus whatever settings but I always get the carat under the 'm' in mgmt, meaining thats where the syntax error lies. i cant find any answer as to why however. interface ? yields the option listing, one of which is "mgmt" but its not working.

(host) (config) #interface mgmt
    ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

that is the example syntax as quoted in the ref guide, and I think its what I'm looking for, which again, is to change the IP and Subnet of my Wireless Mobility controller. at the end of the 'interfece mgmt' section of the Ref Guide, it says that this command is for mobility 6000 controllers... so that may be why its not working, but the question remains; how to i configure my Mobility Controller's IP address via CLI?

Im using a W-620. before i reset it had 6.x on one partition, and 5.x on another.

thanks in advance for the help.

Dave.

• 2.  RE: CLI help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2012 06:04 PM

The 600 series controllers (yours included) do not have a physical management interface.  You have to use one of the vlan or physical interfaces.  Type "show vlan status" to easily see what interfaces are connected to what ports and what ip addresses they have:

• 3.  RE: CLI help

Posted Jun 29, 2012 06:14 PM
      |   view attached

Awesome, I was just going over the "best practices" manual and saw the vlan mention in the cli initial setup. Its obviously using vlan 1 as the default, so would i access the config-subif of vlan 1 and then set the ip address there?

i tried this, and it failed with the carat at the first number of the IP address that I was trying to add. Actually I am really trying to modify a bad subnet that I entered. but same method yes?

Thanks for the reply.

• 4.  RE: CLI help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2012 06:17 PM

It would be like this:

(host) (config) #vlan 1500
    (host) (config) #interface vlan 1500
    (host) (config-subif)#ip address 192.168.2.200 255.255.255.0
    (host) (config-subif)#

• 5.  RE: CLI help

Posted Jun 29, 2012 06:32 PM

So my train of thought here is that I dont have a VLan structure setup yet in office. I was trying to use VLan 1 as my primary VLan so that I wouldnt have to worry about layer3 routing to connect it to my network. I am sure this last statment makes my ignorance on the subject blaringly obvious.

what I am guessing though, is that I configure the controller with a vlan address, the setup packet mentions a loopback address as well, and then im set. since the rest of my network isnt on a vlan, the vlan tags will essentially be irrelevant past the switch and im good?

I know I just asked like 8 questions. but if time is short, I am retiring for the weekend, and will pick this back up on monday.

you guys are really on top of the responses here. I am seriously impressed and grateful. At this point I need all the help I can get. Have a great weekend btw.

EDIT: or do i give it a VLAN number, and then set my switch to operate ALL ports on that same vlan number? thus routing traffic as normal and leaving the vlan routings at the switch?

• 6.  RE: CLI help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2012 10:09 AM

EDIT: or do i give it a VLAN number, and then set my switch to operate ALL ports on that same vlan number? thus routing traffic as normal and leaving the vlan routings at the switch?

You do not need a loopback.  Just configure an ip address on Vlan 1 and leave all ports on VLAN one.  Leave the VLAN routing at the switch.  A basic setup video is here:  

http://www.arubanetworks.com/controller_setup_video.html

• 7.  RE: CLI help

Posted Jul 02, 2012 04:25 PM

Thanks for the video setup link, I was looking for something like this for days.:smileylol: 

I keep having issues getting my Wireless controller to talk on my existing network. My information lifeline is the console cable I have plugged in thankfully. Is there a command that I can use to SEE what the existing IP configuration is via CLI, rather than trying to assign it a new one? somthing like ipconfig or ifconfig, but for the controller?

• 8.  RE: CLI help

Posted Jul 02, 2012 05:56 PM

Try this:  ' show ip int brief  '   

That will give you a birds eye view of the IP's and VLANs created on the controller.

JF

• 9.  RE: CLI help

Posted Jul 02, 2012 06:04 PM

ahhhh. yes. exactly what I was looking for. thanks! youre the man!