Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can ARM and fast-roaming work between (multiple) RAPs, deployed on the same site?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can ARM and fast-roaming work between (multiple) RAPs, deployed on the same site?

Posted Jul 24, 2014 09:50 AM

My customer wants to simplify their deployment by using RAPs for all services - even for those sites which might require quite a few Access Points to provide adequate coverage.  Does ARM still work, as between CAPs, if we did this?   Would roaming between adjacent RAPs (say when using EAP-TLS against a centralised RADIUS server) still work in the same way as between CAPs?    Are there any other downsides to such a setup and, if not, how in fact is there then a differentiation between CAPs and RAPs, other than the tunnelling used when, as I understand it, you can now use encypted tunnelling for CAPs these days?  Are there limits on what AP type(s)  can be set up as CAPs and/or RAPs..?

• 2.  RE: Can ARM and fast-roaming work between (multiple) RAPs, deployed on the same site?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2014 11:09 AM

I can answer your last question.  Any Aruba AP can be provisioned to be a RAP.  The RAP models are 'out of the box' RAPs so to speak.  The other campus APs need to be connected to the controller first and then provisioned as a RAP.

Hope that helps

• 3.  RE: Can ARM and fast-roaming work between (multiple) RAPs, deployed on the same site?

Posted Jul 24, 2014 11:14 AM

Thanks Michael - that's certainly a really good start... :)

• 4.  RE: Can ARM and fast-roaming work between (multiple) RAPs, deployed on the same site?

Posted Jul 24, 2014 12:22 PM

What forwarding mode are you using ?

• 5.  RE: Can ARM and fast-roaming work between (multiple) RAPs, deployed on the same site?

Posted Jul 24, 2014 12:26 PM

The solution might need to support one of three modes, on a site-by-site basis,   i.e.   on any site you might need to setup all the RAPs there as one of these scenarios:

1. All SSIDs tunnelled back to controller

2. Split tunnelling, with some SSIDs bridged to a local VLAN at the AP

3. All SSIDs breaking out to a local VLAN at the AP

• 6.  RE: Can ARM and fast-roaming work between (multiple) RAPs, deployed on the same site?

Posted Jul 24, 2014 03:23 PM
    Using Adaptive Radio Management (ARM) in a Remote Network
    Starting in ArubaOS 3.4.1.x-rn 4.0, the ARM feature can be used by remote APs in bridge mode. Earlier versions of ArubaOS supported ARM on campus APs only.