Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

Posted Dec 18, 2013 11:51 AM

We're setting up logging going to a Splunk syslog server and I've been asked if I can send it to a port other than default syslog port 514.  Is this possible?

• 2.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 18, 2013 03:38 PM

Unfortunately, I do not believe this is possible.

• 3.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

Posted Jan 03, 2014 10:33 AM

Unfortunately I figured that might be the answer.  Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2014 12:33 PM

If this is something you need in your environment, submit a feature request on the ideas portal!

• 5.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

Posted Mar 27, 2016 04:01 PM

couldn't you just destation NAT to the port you want? 

The below is if 192.168.1.36 is your controller and 10.10.10.10 is your syslog server. That last number of 200 in my example is what port you would like it changed to. You then apply it to your uplink port.

!

ip access-list session syslog-des-nat

host 192.168.1.36 host 10.10.10.10 svc-syslog  dst-nat 200

!

interface gigabitethernet 0/0/0

description "UPLINK"

trusted

trusted vlan 1-4094

ip access-group "syslog-des-nat" session

switchport mode trunk

!

• 6.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

Posted Sep 23, 2020 12:48 PM

Has anyone had success with the destination NAT solution mentioned in this thread? We have recently implemented Nagious for syslog messages and we are not able to use UDP 514 in our current setup.

• 7.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2020 02:04 AM
    • This is not possible as the UDP to TCP translation will not be functional. TCP is connection oriented and UDP is connectionless.
    • The dst-nat port for syslog udp port will not work as because the traffic is originating from controller (which in our case UDP 514 was) so it will not trigger DNAT ACL, because the syslog traffic is being generated in the controller that is why we can't DNAT it.
    • Starting from 8.6.0.0, there is a feature introduced to send syslog messages to a custom UDP port only. For eg: syslog messages sent to 515 instead of 514.

You can raise your Request as an RFE at https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/

• 8.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

Posted Feb 16, 2024 10:10 AM

How is custom UDP port done?  Or is there a link with instructions? 

• 9.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2024 05:12 PM

generally to increase the security for syslog, I use syslog over TLS

here is the reference

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 10.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

Posted Feb 16, 2024 06:09 PM

Thank you ariyap.  TLS security point acknowledged, but not there yet.  

From the reference, it says Enter the IP address and port number IP address and the Port fields.  There is no port field.  Is sysntax to use a colon?  x.x.x.x:y  Running version 8.9.0.3.  

• 11.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2024 01:18 AM

I am using 8.10.x LSR firmware

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 12.  RE: Can I change the destination port number for logging going to a syslog server?

Posted Feb 20, 2024 10:56 AM

Thank you again, Ariyap.  I think I see the problem.  We are talking apples & oranges.  Your screenshot does not look like mine.  This screen clip is from a 305 AP running 8.11.x.  What is the difference?  And how is a port # specified in this system?  The screenshot is the same on a 374/345/574 cluster running 8.10.x.  Thank you.