Wireless Access

New Contributor

Can I create individual user accounts on a single SSID?

Folks,

Bear with me as I ask what must be for most of you a very basic wireless networking question. 

I recently installed a wireless network using a dozen Aruba 105s and I would like to limit access to the network and monitor usage - can I create individual accounts (user names / passwords) on a single SSID?

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael  

Contributor I

Re: Can I create individual user accounts on a single SSID?

yes you can, to restrict a user you can assign the user to a role where you can assign ACL to restrict access. 

Aruba Employee

Re: Can I create individual user accounts on a single SSID?

What type of authentication do you use?  Is this a pre-shared key, captive portal or do you have authentication via RADIUS?

If you use a pre-shared key, you will have to derive a role based on MAC address or device type (DHCP fingerprint).

If it is a user authenticated SSID (captive portal or RADIUS), then you can apply different roles based on the user ID.  You will need to add a server rule that looks at the RADIUS response or the internal DB user role.

See the Validated Reference Guides (VRDs) at http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/ for more info.  There is a good VRD on DHCP fingerprinting, guest access (if you are using a captive portal) and RADIUS setup (in the Mobility Controllers VRD).

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: