Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

Posted Sep 29, 2015 02:07 AM

Can I have two SSID's with same name and different  authentications one is PSK and one is Open Auth

• 2.  RE: Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

Posted Sep 29, 2015 03:49 AM

Not on the same AP, and probably not a good idea in the same physical location.

• 3.  RE: Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 29, 2015 06:30 AM

@Venuprasad wrote:

Can I have two SSID's with same name and different  authentications one is PSK and one is Open Auth

You will get an error if you make two SSIDs with the same name on the same ap-group.  Your clients will also be confused, so you should not attempt it.  

• 4.  RE: Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

Posted Sep 29, 2015 06:42 AM

Thanks Colin,

I am using differnet AP group and wlan ssid profiles for both here, In that I can able to use both encryptions right?

• 5.  RE: Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 29, 2015 06:48 AM

You will be allowed to use the same SSID in different ap-groups with different encryption, but again, you need to make sure that each access point cannot hear each other, and clients cannot hear two different versions of the same SSID.  That will create trouble when clients can hear the same SSID but attempt to connect with the wrong encryption.

• 6.  RE: Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

Posted Sep 29, 2015 06:51 AM

Hi Venu,

Yes it is possible. we can configure same SSID in multiple AP-Groups with different security and provision. BTW can share the use case ?

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 7.  RE: Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

Posted Sep 29, 2015 03:10 PM

ALso u need to consider how the client treat this tupe of setup, as most clients store the network and prefered wireless once connect to them. the algorithm of doing this differs from client to client. 

1. Is it possible ??  Yes it is. using different AP group. 

2. is it recommendable ? No. it might bring problems to the clients on connecting to different auth type with same ssid name.