Wireless Access

4me
Contributor I

Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

Can I have two SSID's with same name and different  authentications one is PSK and one is Open Auth

Frequent Contributor II

Re: Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

Not on the same AP, and probably not a good idea in the same physical location.

Guru Elite

Re: Can I have two SSID's with same name and different authentications one is PSK and one is Open

Venuprasad wrote:

Can I have two SSID's with same name and different  authentications one is PSK and one is Open Auth

You will get an error if you make two SSIDs with the same name on the same ap-group.  Your clients will also be confused, so you should not attempt it.  

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

4me
Contributor I

Thanks Colin,

I am using differnet AP group and wlan ssid profiles for both here, In that I can able to use both encryptions right?

Guru Elite

You will be allowed to use the same SSID in different ap-groups with different encryption, but again, you need to make sure that each access point cannot hear each other, and clients cannot hear two different versions of the same SSID.  That will create trouble when clients can hear the same SSID but attempt to connect with the wrong encryption.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Valued Contributor II

Hi Venu,

Yes it is possible. we can configure same SSID in multiple AP-Groups with different security and provision. BTW can share the use case ?

Please feel free for any further help on this.

Cheers,
Venu Puduchery,
[Is my post helped you ? Give Kudos :) ]
Aruba Employee

ALso u need to consider how the client treat this tupe of setup, as most clients store the network and prefered wireless once connect to them. the algorithm of doing this differs from client to client. 

1. Is it possible ??  Yes it is. using different AP group. 

2. is it recommendable ? No. it might bring problems to the clients on connecting to different auth type with same ssid name. 

Vinod Kumaar AVM ACMX, ACDX
Principal Network Engineer
Customer Advocacy | Aruba Networks Inc.

Did something you read in the Community solve a problem for you? If so, click "Accept as Solution" in the bottom right hand corner of the post.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: