Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can a RAP be used this way?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Can a RAP be used this way?

Posted Oct 14, 2015 11:41 AM

I have an outdoor cash register in a metal kiosk. I have a number of AP-275's close by. 

Can I connect the PC and the separate EMV-capable credit card machine to a RAP and can the RAP be a meshpoint to my campus WLAN (under control of a 7210 controller)? 

I am unclear if the RAP requires a wired connection. While I can give the PC register a wireless adapter, I don't have that flexibility with the credit card machine. So I am looking for a switch that can join my wireless network.

And can the RAP have an antenna extension? I'd like to stick the antenna on the roof of the metal kiosk.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Can a RAP be used this way?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2015 11:43 AM
    A RAP cannot be a mesh point. You could however grab a RAP and throw it in
    Instant mode and use the WiFi uplink feature to connect it to your outdoor
    wireless.

• 3.  RE: Can a RAP be used this way?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2015 01:00 PM

You coulud also look at a 275 as a mesh point on your Kiosk, as it has two ethernet connections and would remove the need for a switch of some kind (though you would still need a power injector on E0). Cost-wise, it's likely the fastest and easiest option, so you don't have to plumb antenna cables, etc. 

otheriwise, you can try the wifi uplink feature and try to bridge the enet interfaces.

• 4.  RE: Can a RAP be used this way?

Posted Oct 28, 2015 10:44 AM

Well, a 275 makes for a very expensive solution. And I thought the other Enet interface was limited to 10 Mbps?

• 5.  RE: Can a RAP be used this way?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2015 10:50 AM

Yes, you run the device in Instant mode and use the WiFi Uplink feature.

• 6.  RE: Can a RAP be used this way?

Posted Oct 29, 2015 03:26 PM

Thanks. I'll get one and check it out.

• 7.  RE: Can a RAP be used this way?

Posted Oct 28, 2015 10:42 AM

Thanks. So just to be clear, I leave the RAP in Instant? I'm not familiar with WIFI uplink, and will need to read up on that.