Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can a licensing server be configured with the AP license count more than its capability?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can a licensing server be configured with the AP license count more than its capability?

Posted Feb 05, 2017 03:42 AM

Hello All,

I have a network comprising of a WLC master-Active and 2 local controllers. All the APs are configured to be terminated on the local controllers. The controllers that I have in place is 7240XM-RW which has a potential of support for 2048 APs on each unit.
    As any how, the purpose of WLC Master in my setup is just to serve a licensing server which has multiple locals to server APs, would it be possible for me to add licenses beyone 2048 in the WLC mater?

The whole idea is when the license count will be shared by multiple locals, will any how be having the license obtained by them be lesser than their potential of 2048(based on the LMS IP of the respective locals the APs are configured to be termiated against).

If this would not do the needful, please suggest an alternative way of meeting the needful.

• 2.  RE: Can a licensing server be configured with the AP license count more than its capability?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2017 04:30 AM

Hi,

you can exceed the platform limit with licenses on the master when you have enabled centralised licensing.  Your local controllers will see the number of available licenses but they will not be able to consume more than the platform limit.

Regards

Borja

• 3.  RE: Can a licensing server be configured with the AP license count more than its capability?

Posted Feb 05, 2017 04:46 AM

Hi Borja,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Is there any documentation that lists out the max license limit(exceeding the platform limit) that we can have on the licensing server against a particular platform of Aruba controller.

I am specifically looking for the limit against 7240XM-RW controller and could not find any relevant documenation for same.

• 4.  RE: Can a licensing server be configured with the AP license count more than its capability?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2017 07:17 AM

There is no set limit.

Please see how to confirm how many licenses you have here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-troubleshoot-Centralized-licensing-How-to-ensure-that/ta-p/233637

• 5.  RE: Can a licensing server be configured with the AP license count more than its capability?

Posted Feb 05, 2017 09:24 AM

Could you please point to a document that confirms there's no upper limit on the licenses to be configured on Licensing server?

My concern at this moment is on the platform: 7240XM-RW controller

• 6.  RE: Can a licensing server be configured with the AP license count more than its capability?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2017 10:14 AM

There is no document that states that there is a limit.

• 7.  RE: Can a licensing server be configured with the AP license count more than its capability?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2017 12:39 PM

The limit, if there is one, on the 7240XM, as a licensing master, is larger than any known WLAN deployment in the world. Because the licensing master is ONLY housing license information for locals, it's not too demanding. 

• 8.  RE: Can a licensing server be configured with the AP license count more than its capability?

Posted Feb 06, 2017 02:31 AM

Hi Jerrod,

Understood that the licensing server could be faciliated with the licenses sufficient enough to support enourmous AP count.

Wandering why this is not documented. There will be many things that could be obvious, however documentation are still respected for the reason being the only quick source to convince clients and make Aruba stand unique against its competitors.

What appears to be obvious, still needs references in documentation.