Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Can an AP-175 or any Aruba AP do both AM (air monitor) and AP (Access Point) at the same time?

Can an AP-175 or any Aruba AP do both AM (air monitor) and AP (Access Point) at the same time?

We want to put one access point in a room. We want want the AP configured for both Air Monitor (to scan the air) and AP (for users). Is this possible?

v/r

Eli

Guru Elite

Re: Can an AP-175 or any Aruba AP do both AM (air monitor) and AP (Access Point) at the same time?

It cannot be a dedicated air monitor and access point at the same time, but they do background scan while configured as an AP.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor I

Re: Can an AP-175 or any Aruba AP do both AM (air monitor) and AP (Access Point) at the same time?

Tim,

How can they do background scans while configured as an AP? What kind of information can you get from background scans? rogue aps, clients? Will background scans display results under monitoring?

v/r

Eli

Guru Elite

The APs can do on and off channel scans when they are not servicing clients. This data is used by ARM for calculations.

What information are you looking for?

If you need to "attack" rogues, you'll need dedicated air monitors.

"An AP automatically provides monitoring on its configured channel. For example, an AP servicing clients on channel 1 provides full monitoring on channel 1. If set to perform off-channel scanning, the AP spends brief time intervals scanning other channels in the band. The shorter the scan interval, the less the impact on client performance."

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/tb_air_monitors.pdf

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: