Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can apboot master IP point to local controller?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can apboot master IP point to local controller?

Posted Apr 18, 2016 10:51 AM

Hi all,

Sorry to ask such silly question here.

As title above, In recenlty our team have staging about 130+ units AP with "set master" ip as local controller IP in apboot.

Will the APs up in the local controller if we point the ap boot "set master" ip in apboot to local controller instead as I have a pair of master-local setup in our enviroment.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Can apboot master IP point to local controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2016 10:54 AM

The short answer is yes.

The question is, why are they not using something like a DHCP option to point to the controller they want the AP to come up on, instead of doing it manually?  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/DHCP_Option_43/Windows_Based_DHCP_Serve.htm?Highlight=dhcp option

• 3.  RE: Can apboot master IP point to local controller?

Posted Apr 18, 2016 11:06 AM

Thanks cjoseph.

Glad the answer is yes.. then i would exclude this as part of my concern as currently those APs are failed to up in the local controller.

The local controller is MC7205 with version 6.4.3.7 and AP is series 205. (Master controller is 7210 with same version)

I did console into the AP and it able to ping local controller.. but somehow it seems doesn't form the tunnel to the controller until i changed the master ip to master IP then it able to up in master.

Centralized licensing in turned on as this pair of controller will sharing the license pool.

Could you kindly advise me on this as I've run out of idea.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Can apboot master IP point to local controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2016 11:08 AM

Type "show log system 50" on the local to see if there are any clues why it is not working.

• 5.  RE: Can apboot master IP point to local controller?

Posted Apr 18, 2016 11:19 AM

Ok, noted.. but I did not have the access to the controller now.

Let me take a look into the system log and hopefully I could found some clues of this. :-S

Besides that, do you have any other suggestion? So I can try all these the next day.

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Can apboot master IP point to local controller?

Posted Apr 19, 2016 12:11 AM

resolved.. end up is my false.

Forgot to reboot local controller after convert the mode from master to local.