Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can dhcp lease time information remove users from the user table if no renew is seen?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can dhcp lease time information remove users from the user table if no renew is seen?

Posted Dec 06, 2012 02:10 PM

Hello,

I have the enforce-dhcp option enabled in the aaa profile.

My aruba controllers are not doing routing.

I have observed the following behaviour

1) If you statically configure an IP you do not gain access to the wireless network
    2) If you DHCP an address you get access.
    2b) if you DHCP, then statically configure the same IP you get access with that IP.  (even after the dhcp lease has expired)
    2c) if you DHCP, then statically configure a different IP you are denied access
    3) if you DHCP, then statically configure the same IP, but disconnect the user (from the controller side) even after re-authenticating you are not able to use the IP

When i run 'show user-table ip .....' it displays to me that I dhcp'd the IP, and the time I did the DHCP, but it does not have any lease time information.

Is there an option in the controller configuration to make it get and utilize the dhcp lease time?

The concern I have is that even after the dhcp lease has expired on the dhcp server, the user is still in the controller user table and can still use the network via the statically configured IP address.

Has anyone experienced issues related to this?  

What would happen if the dhcp server re-assigns the IP address (since the lease expired) and another wireless client gets added to the user table with a different mac address but the same IP address as the now statically configured and working client from case 2b above?  

Can someone confirm that the client from case 2b would be disconnected or is there a possability of an issue here?

Thanks,

Matt

• 2.  RE: Can dhcp lease time information remove users from the user table if no renew is seen?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2012 11:43 PM

This cannot be done.  Please leave a request in the ideas portal.