Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can't communicate with new AP-105 on existing network.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Can't communicate with new AP-105 on existing network.

Posted Aug 07, 2017 05:48 PM

I'm trying to connect a new AP-105 to an existing network of 9 APs. The new AP-105 does not respond. Here is what I see.

1. Connect the new 105 to the network.
    2. By looking at the DHCP server I see the 105 is getting an IP address.
    3. Does not respond to ping
    4. Does not respond to http connection
    5. Does not respond to https connection.

6. Does not show up at Aruba Web UI.

I factory reset the AP-105 a few times trying the above, same result.

I connected the 105 to a diff network at a diff location (that does not have any other Aruba equipment) to see if I would get diff results. I get the same symptoms listed above.

I want to connect to the console port but I cannot find detailed instructions on this. I understand using Putty, etc. I just don't know...

*) What is the ethernet cable supposed to look like? A standard cable? A crossover cable? A custom cable?

*) I don't have a Com1 port on my laptop. How do I install one for this testing that talks out my ethernet?

*) Why can't I communicate with the AP-105?

Thanks for your help.

-Clark

• 2.  RE: Can't communicate with new AP-105 on existing network.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2017 06:01 PM

If this is an AP-105, it will only work with a controller.  It will not answer over SSH or HTTP or HTTPs.  If it is an IAP-105, it will answer.  Look at the sticker on the back to see what model you have..

• 3.  RE: Can't communicate with new AP-105 on existing network.

Posted Aug 07, 2017 07:33 PM

It is an AP-105

Then how do I troubleshoot this device?

If it is not seen at the Aruba Web UI, where do I go from there?

Thanks, Clark

• 4.  RE: Can't communicate with new AP-105 on existing network.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2017 09:50 PM

Do you have a controller?

• 5.  RE: Can't communicate with new AP-105 on existing network.

Posted Aug 08, 2017 03:25 AM

>*) What is the ethernet cable supposed to look like? A standard >cable? A crossover cable? A custom cable?

Ethernet cable and console cables both use RJ45 plugs. However, copper ethernet and console cables are wired differently so you have to use the correct cable for the correct job. Ethernet is for 'normal' network comms (e.g. AP to switch) a console cable is for serial to serial comms, using  a termianl emulator like Putty. You wouldn't use a crossover cable to talk to an AP, this is normally used for connecting devices directly, usually of the same type.

A lot of cables have what they are printed on the side. Do a google on different cables, e.g. search for CAT 5/ 5e, 6 and 6a ethernet (though I'd recommend not using CAT 5 or 5e these days). The other way of working out what a cable is is by looking at the wiring order in the plug - again google for this.

>*) I don't have a Com1 port on my laptop. How do I install one for this testing that talks out my ethernet?

Use a serial to USB convertor.

However, as Colin says if this is a controller based AP it will not work without a controller even if you are able to console into it, you will just see on the readout that it is trying to find a controller.

If you don't have a controller you have to buy instant APs.

Alexander.

• 6.  RE: Can't communicate with new AP-105 on existing network.

Posted Aug 08, 2017 09:37 AM

How can I troubleshoot this problem?

I'm trying to connect a new AP-105 to an existing network of 9 APs that have a controller. The new AP-105 does not respond. Here is what I see.

1. Connect the new 105 to the network.
    2. By looking at the DHCP server I see the 105 is getting an IP address.
    3. Does not show up at Aruba Web UI.

I factory reset the AP-105 a few times trying the above, same result.

I connected the 105 to a diff network at a diff location (that does not have any other Aruba equipment) to see if I would get diff results. I get the same symptoms listed above.

• 7.  RE: Can't communicate with new AP-105 on existing network.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 08, 2017 10:58 AM

An AP-105 will not work with your 9 IAP-105s, unfortunately.  There is no troubleshooting to be done; you have the wrong part.

• 8.  RE: Can't communicate with new AP-105 on existing network.

Posted Aug 08, 2017 11:04 AM

Issue Resolved:

The existing network is an IAP (Instant Access Point) network. The AP-105 devices are not equiped to be included into an IAP network. The IAPs use a virtual controller. The APs use/require a physical controller.

The solution for this problem is to acquire an IPA-105 device.

Thanks for the help.