Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can't connect to new 205s and 225s

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Can't connect to new 205s and 225s

Posted Apr 01, 2016 04:05 PM

Hi,

We just purchased a bunch of 205s and 225s and we can't get access to them. I've read a lot on this board but haven't found anything that would solve my problems. We've tried 2x 225 and 2x 205 and we get the same problem for all four units.

We power all units using PoE, and they are connected to a DHCP server and getting an IP address no problem. We can also get into the console and did try resetting to factory defaults when things didn't work.

For the 205s:

Aruba OS version: 6.4.1.0

Power LED keeps blinkg green

ENET LED is solid yellow

5 GHz and 2.4 GHz LED are off.

We don't see the "instant" SSID, obviously because the radios are off.

We can't connect to the GUI by using the IP address we get from the DHCP server nor using instant.arubanetworks.comm we just get a page cannont be displayed message, no login screen.

We tried IE and Firefox, cleared cache, tried multiple factory reset through console.

We even tried without the DHCP server with the default IP we found in the documentation but no success there either.

For the 225s:

Aruba OS version: 6.4.3.4-FIPS

Power LED keeps blinkg green

ENET0 LED is solid/flashing green showing there is activity

ENET1 LED is off (port not connected)

5 GHz and 2.4 GHz LED are off.

We get the exact same issues as described above for the 205s, don't see the "instant" SSID and can't connect to the GUI. Tried all the same fixes/debugging and nothing works.

Also, when looking at the console and not stoping the autoboot to get to "apboot>" prompt, after a while the units just keep rebooting. The "Running ADP..." message appears for a while and the unit reboots. Not sure if this is normal behaviour or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Can't connect to new 205s and 225s
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2016 04:12 PM

That is probably because those APs are NOT instant  APs.  They require a controller.

• 3.  RE: Can't connect to new 205s and 225s

Posted Apr 01, 2016 04:12 PM
    Can you please look at back of the AP to see if in the label it says either IAP-225-US or AP-225-US as the part name

• 4.  RE: Can't connect to new 205s and 225s

Posted Apr 01, 2016 04:32 PM

Models are APIN0205 and APIN0225

We do have a couple of 7030 controllers but there are licensing issues that are being sorted out at the moment and will hoepfully be fixed next week.

It seemed to us like the APs were interchangeable between being standalone or being used with a controller so we were trying to use them as standalone units in the meantime but I guess that might not be possible from what you say?

• 5.  RE: Can't connect to new 205s and 225s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2016 04:43 PM

APIN numbers are FCC identifiers. Look for a smaller sticker or label that is 'AP-225' or 'IAP-225'. If you have AP-2xx, they are not interchangeable and you will have to use the controller. That's what it sounds like based on what you are describing.

• 6.  RE: Can't connect to new 205s and 225s

Posted Apr 01, 2016 06:28 PM

Need to ask the dumb dumb first

Did you purchase APs or IAPs?

• 7.  RE: Can't connect to new 205s and 225s

Posted Apr 01, 2016 06:42 PM

Here is the location of the product number,

Look for IAP or AP

AP-115 label.jpg

• 8.  RE: Can't connect to new 205s and 225s
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 04, 2016 09:18 AM

They are indeed AP-205 and AP-225, not IAP, so I guess we'll have to wait for those licensing issues to be solved to use with the controller.

And I didn't make the purchase, they were simply handed over to me with almost no information whatsoever.

Thanks for the help, very appreciated.