Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

Posted Mar 01, 2012 04:41 PM

Hi,

We used to be able to search (using the convenient search field in the top right corner) for users/clients by using MAC or IP and get historical info of associations, signal strength etc. It was available at any time even if the user was not connected at the time. After the latest upgrade to 7.4.7 we can see the users info only if they are connected to the wireless network at the time of the search. Is this normal behavior with the new version and is there another way to search for client historical data?

• 2.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 01, 2012 05:19 PM

In the header of the search results, there's a link that says "Click here to perform a Full Search to expand the results." That will give you the pre-7.4 behavior. 

• 3.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

Posted Mar 01, 2012 05:41 PM

Thank you. Good to have this feature back :)

• 4.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

Posted Feb 13, 2013 03:41 PM

Back from the dead?

Did this feature get removed again?  Running 7.6.2 and no longer see the "Full search" option. 

I know the client is connecting, but having a hard time catching them online, so not able to get any history or information about their connections.

• 5.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2013 04:27 PM

You'll need to do the search for "Active+historical+all categories".  The search options were renamed recently.

• 6.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

Posted Feb 14, 2013 04:00 PM

Thanks Rob!  Up until your post I had never noticed the arrow next to the search icon!

• 7.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

Posted Mar 31, 2015 04:30 AM

Hi,

How can I generate the client historical session with all the complete details on the association to include the bandwidth/channel/interface/radios being used during the association.

Jaded

• 8.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 31, 2015 11:53 AM

If you're looking for a single particular client's history, your best approach would be to go to that client's detail page, create a custom list view that includes the columns you're interested in, and then export to CSV.

If you're looking for several clients, then you'd want to run a client session report, be sure to check the 'include details about every session'.  Keep in mind that client session reports tend to be large, so the trade off is that you'll want to do it for shorter periods of time (longer report durations require that you have the Historical Data Retention values and hard disk resources to accommodate the report request.  It's recommended that these reports be scheduled to run at non peak network usage so the database doesn't have to compete with regular operations (keep in mind not to have it run at the same time as nightly maintenance).  A typically recommendation is a weekly or monthly report offloaded to another server as CSV or PDF if you'd like to maintain a record for any reason.)

• 9.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

Posted Mar 31, 2015 09:56 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for replying and providing these valuable informations. I really appreciated it.

However, I would like to know if where could I find this option "include details about every session" to include in the client session report. Is it under the Client Session Tab? My Airwave is using version 8.0.7.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jaded

• 10.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 31, 2015 10:48 PM
    go to reports -> definitions -> add
    type = client session
    and then the include details shows as a checkbox toggle

• 11.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

Posted Mar 31, 2015 11:04 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Rob, I just couldn't find that option. Below is the screenshot. Jaded

• 12.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2015 12:56 AM

When looking at type = custom, the option won't be available.

It must be type = client session (from drop down below the report name)

2015_03_31-196.jpg

then further down the page you'll see:

2015_03_31-197.jpg

• 13.  RE: Can't see client history if client is not connected at the time of search

Posted Apr 01, 2015 02:32 AM

Hi Rob,

I got it already.

Thanks for the great assistance.

Jaded