Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can you configure multiple VAPs with the same SSID on the same AP Groups?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Can you configure multiple VAPs with the same SSID on the same AP Groups?

Posted Nov 11, 2016 10:54 AM

I'm working on reducing the number of SSID's being broadcasted, but have the issue of multiple wireless phones using different aaa profiles.  I can get it down to 3 SSID's broadcasted, but to do so would require a single SSID for my voice network.  Can I create multiple VAP's using the same SSID within the same AP Groups?  This would get me down to a voice network, guest network, and corporate network being broadcasted.  Currently I have 3 voice networks, each needing access to different resources.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Can you configure multiple VAPs with the same SSID on the same AP Groups?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2016 10:57 AM
    You cannot broadcast the sender SSID more than once in the second ap-group. The big question is, what are the differences between your 3 handsets that needs to be configured?

• 3.  RE: Can you configure multiple VAPs with the same SSID on the same AP Groups?

Posted Nov 11, 2016 11:08 AM

They have different roles.  One is used for nurse call, one is Vocera and is used in patient critical areas, and one is Avaya and is used by our lab.

• 4.  RE: Can you configure multiple VAPs with the same SSID on the same AP Groups?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2016 11:12 AM
    You could use a user derivation rule attached to the AAA profile based on what the Mac address begins with, to set the role.

• 5.  RE: Can you configure multiple VAPs with the same SSID on the same AP Groups?

Posted Nov 11, 2016 11:23 AM

I'll give that a try, thanks!!