Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

Hi,

We are running an Aruba 7210 with 6.3.1.1.

We have an SSID that is designed for guest access only during the day. However, unfortunately the password has been discovered by other users, and so they are using outside hours. This is bound to happen, and so changing the password is only going to be a temporary solution. I was wondering if the SSID could be taken out of the air overnight, to prevent them using it when their own internet access is restricted overnight?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Stephen

MVP

Re: Can you schedule an SSID to be hidden at certain times

You use the kiwi tool to schedule certain actions on the controller please see thread :

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-Automating-Aruba-Controller-Tasks-with-Kiwi-CatTools/m-p/1365/highlight/true#M92

You could schedule the command to either disable or hide and then reenable it
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP

If that solution is not possible, you can use deny-time ranges (unfortuantely it won't hide the ssid) but it will prevent users from connecting to your network.
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]

victorfabian wrote:
You use the kiwi tool to schedule certain actions on the controller please see thread :

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-Automating-Aruba-Controller-Tasks-with-Kiwi-CatTools/m-p/1365/highlight/true#M92

You could schedule the command to either disable or hide and then reenable it

Hi,

Thanks for that suggestion, I had a quick look but it seems to be free only as a trial? Unfortunately not something I can spend any money on!

Stephen

pmonardo wrote:
If that solution is not possible, you can use deny-time ranges (unfortuantely it won't hide the ssid) but it will prevent users from connecting to your network.

Hi,

Thanks - already had a look at that option, but as you pointed out the SSID is still visible. Not ideal but it might have to do. I take it that option would kick already connected users off the network as well as denying users trying to join?

Stephen

MVP

I've experienced being kicked off.

As for users joining, sometimes I have seen where they will associate but wouldn't be able to browse or not associate at all..
ACDX #420 | ACMP
Frequent Contributor II

You can try using this tutorial Running CLI commands remotely using Perl Jan14-Tutorial

and have it conf t and send a command similar to this and use a cronjob to toggle the "no vap-enable" "vap-enable"

wlan virtual-ap "VAP-Profile-Name"
  no vap-enable
Contributor II

pmonardo wrote:

Any links to this? I'm also interested in this. Thanks!!

MVP

[ Edited ]

Not really any links but what you do is the following:

This is from AOS 6.3 but I don't think it has changed much.

1. create a time-range first like below under access control -> time ranges

time_range.PNG

Once you have created and given your time-range a name, you apply it to your desired virtual AP profile.

vap.PNG

That is basically it.

This is a DENY time-range, so you would have to configure your time range to be outside of business hours.

Page 247 opf the AOS guide goes through a scenario where you apply during work-hours time-ranges which are applied to an ACL instead of a Virtual AP.

If you want to read up on time-ranges, I invite you to visit the AOS users guide located here.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/27930/1/ArubaOS_6.3.xUG.pdf

page 247

ACDX #420 | ACMP
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: