Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Can you use a RAP as an IAP?

Can a RAP be converted to an IAP?

I want to be able to stand up a SSID completely seperate from my network and the internet. A Little stand-alone wireless network. 

I know I can do this with an IAP, but is it possible to use a RAP in this way to broadcast an SSID without the need to have a controller involved?

I don't currently have the RAP in front of me to test and want to know if this plan is possible

Guru Elite

Re: Can you use a RAP as an IAP?

If your RAP was sold to you as an IAP, you can convert it back to an IAP and do this.

If it is a RAP, and it is a WPA2-PSK network, you can set the forwarding mode of the Virtual AP as "bridged" and the RAP Mode to "Persistent" Always and the Remote AP should stay up "persistently".  There are a few drawbacks and possible gotchas, however..  It is much easier to start out with an Instant AP. definitely.

Please see the remote AP validated reference guide here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Remote-AP-Networks/ta-p/155140

Screenshot 2018-05-30 at 16.34.07.png

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: