Wireless Access

Captive Portal cert with Chrome browser

Community,

Chrome browswer seems to be having an issue with the captive portal certificate ive loaded on the WLC. I generated a CSR from the WLC and cooked up a cert in GoDaddy for the captive portal. The issue Im having is that Chrome throws the error "Common Name Invalid." I know Chrome doesnt consider HTTPS connection secure if the Subject Alternative Name is empty in the cert. The issue is that when i was generating the CSR on the WLC, there was no option to enter any info for the SAN. Has anyone found a way around this? Edge/IE and FF seem to be ok with it. Thanks. 

Guru Elite

Re: Captive Portal cert with Chrome browser

Public CAs will automatically add the CN as a SAN. Are you using ClearPass or another external portal with the controller?

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Captive Portal cert with Chrome browser

I had a similar issue but I don't remember what the exact error message in Chrome was.  I had just migrated from the secure.arubanetworks.com certs to INCommon certs when the issue started.  It turned out to be that I hadn't uploaded the entire cert chain into the controllers.  This may not be the case for you but wanted to mention just in case.

Phillip Kluttz
Network Engineer University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: