Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive portal capabilities on Instant APs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Captive portal capabilities on Instant APs

Posted Feb 24, 2012 07:36 PM

I have a small remote office which requires 5 APs. I'd rather not put a single controller due to cost and was thinking about Instant APs.  The problem is that I need to have a captive portal page in which people can sign in. Additionally, there needs to be at least two user groups for pool who login.  Can Instant AP support this?

• 2.  RE: Captive portal capabilities on Instant APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2012 08:55 PM

@jacobuecker wrote:

I have a small remote office which requires 5 APs. I'd rather not put a single controller due to cost and was thinking about Instant APs.  The problem is that I need to have a captive portal page in which people can sign in. Additionally, there needs to be at least two user groups for pool who login.  Can Instant AP support this?

When you say "two user groups per pool" how do you want that to function?

I am assuming you already have a controller; what is the bandwidth between the main office and the remote office?  Does the remote office have its own internet connection?

• 3.  RE: Captive portal capabilities on Instant APs

Posted Feb 24, 2012 09:35 PM

Yes, there's a VPN connection between the main site and the remote site.  There will be a controller there but I don't want the user data traffic to flow through the controller due to bandwidth constraints.  What I'd like is guests to authenticate using an account and only be good for a day.  Other accounts will be good for 30days or so.  

• 4.  RE: Captive portal capabilities on Instant APs

Posted Feb 27, 2012 05:10 PM

Have you looked in to split-tunnel mode for the remote office insead of using IAP? I have several clients doing a split tunnel so the traffic does not flow through the controller unless it needs to go back to the site with the controller.