Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive portal certificate question

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Captive portal certificate question

Posted Mar 19, 2018 05:24 PM

Community,

I would like to gen a captive portal cert on GoDaddy to avoid the cert error that Chrome and FF sometimes throw out when the controller attempts to redirect the web traffic to the internal Captive Portal. My question is this:

When attempting to generate the CSR, the CSR asks for a "common name" but i am not sure what to enter in this section. My controller shows the controller IP in the URL path when it redirects the web traffic to the internal web page. The URL looks like this:

http://10.129.129.166/upload/custom/default/CaptivePortal3.htm?cmd=login&mac=94:65:9c:46:5f:eb&ip=172.16.20.7&essid=CDT%2DGreen&apname=6c%3Af3%3A7f%3Aca%3Af1%3A29&apgroup=Cedar_WLAN&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewalmart%2Ecom%2F

Please notice the URL is the IP address of the controller. I tried to enter a FQDN for the controller in the Systems Settings page but the field wont allow me to while in Master mode. Local mode however allows me to enter a FQDN, not sure why this is.

How do I generate a cert with a valid common name from the controller. If the common name on the csr doesnt jive with the redirect URL, I'll be in the same position i was without a cert in the first place right?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Captive portal certificate question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2018 06:53 PM
    The common name should be a generic name. Something like “networklogin.yourdomain.com”. Doesn’t matter.

• 3.  RE: Captive portal certificate question

Posted Mar 20, 2018 11:01 AM

Ok great! So it doesnt have to match the FQDN or hostname of the WLC at all? 

• 4.  RE: Captive portal certificate question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2018 11:04 AM
    No

• 5.  RE: Captive portal certificate question

Posted Mar 20, 2018 11:38 AM

Thanks Cappalli!