Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted Apr 22, 2014 02:15 PM

Hello,

In teh company I work, we use two ARUBA3400 Model on our branch. Recently some client has complain about the connectivity of their cell phones.

I've made some tests and I have noticed that there is just 2 cell phones presenting this problem. They don't recognize any SSID, while all others can access and connect at the same environment. We use portal connection, an WPA2/PSK and a MAC/PSK authentication to connect.

Our Aruba3400 are using the version 6.2.1.3.

The incompatibility are from two Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos and another one.

I want to know if the authentication problem may be because the software version or the cellphone, but I don't know how really test it.

I've looked some release notes to see if there is any issue related to this, but couldn't find anything.

Did anyone faced this problem?

Sorry for my bad english, learnt alone =)

• 2.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 02:29 PM

If they are Samsung devices, please try turning off Band Steering in the Virtual AP profile.

• 3.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted Apr 22, 2014 02:40 PM

Want me to to this for every VAP?

• 4.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted Apr 22, 2014 02:44 PM

Collin

Its really bad that you have to give up the band steeering for  maybe a few Sansumg devices...

How odes it work with the ClientMatch? for these deiveces???

Cheres

Carlos

• 5.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted Apr 22, 2014 03:11 PM

Do you think that a firmware update to 6.3.x.x should solve it? Or it may be a incompatibility with certain devices? I will test disabling the Band Steering.

• 6.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 03:13 PM

You could either disable band steering or do not make it "Force".  Let us change that setting first and then we can determine if we need to upgrade based on your other needs.  

• 7.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 02:52 PM
    The question is whether Samsung devices are affected by band steering or not. In the past we had this issue, so it is worth seeing if that is the cause. Current Samsung's should not have this issue. Older Samsung's maybe.

Client match uses a different mechanism.

• 8.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted Apr 22, 2014 03:00 PM

Have you guys observed anything similar with clientmatch?

• 9.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted Apr 22, 2014 03:06 PM

i actually had to do that in a client which his CEO were using a sansumg galaxy... after disabling it, it stopped bothering... but still... it was bad that i had to turn off that feature... just for one Device in this case!

Cheers

Carlos

• 10.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 03:15 PM

@NightShade1 wrote:

i actually had to do that in a client which his CEO were using a sansumg galaxy... after disabling it, it stopped bothering... but still... it was bad that i had to turn off that feature... just for one Device in this case!

Cheers

Carlos

Carlos, depending on how you are deployed and the power and spacing of your access points, there is no need to use "Force" on Band Steering to achieve good results.

• 11.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted Apr 22, 2014 03:18 PM

I didnt have force in band steering...

I had the recommended setting which is prefer.

After i disabled the band steering t the client never called me again so i suppose that fixed it.  That was like 2 months ago.

Cheers

Carlos

• 12.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2014 03:54 PM

Since this is in the past, Carlos, there is nothing to troubleshoot or recommend.  

• 13.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted Apr 23, 2014 02:23 PM

Hello Guys,

I tested disabling the band steerling but the issue persists.

Any other leads for me to test?

May the upgrade of software be an alternative?

Actualy the version of Aruba 3400 is 6.2.1.3.

• 14.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 03:18 PM

I just re-read your initial post and it says that they cannot see any ssids?  How long have they been having this problem?  Disregard the band steering thing....

• 15.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted Apr 23, 2014 03:20 PM

They can see but can't authenticate. Actually they bought new cell phone and aparently, the cabn't authenticate with any ssid.

• 16.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2014 03:22 PM
    You probably need to turn on user debugging to get to the reason...

• 17.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted May 12, 2014 02:58 PM

Well, I did update the Wireless Controler to 6.3.1.6 version. That resulted on even greater issues.

Besides the later issue, now an SSID don't autheticates anymore. It is an WPA2-PSK with AES crypto and MAC autherntication. After the update it stoped to work.

To execute an troubbleshooting on the site is kinda diffivult, because it is in another location, I just has remote access to the equipments.

Is there any know issue about this other problem?

The cellphone issue I can't test again since it is was using the MAC authentication SSID.

Thanks.

• 18.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2014 03:00 PM

gustavorr,

You probably have to open up a case with TAC in parallel to understand what is going on.  On the forum here, we have very little facts about what is happening, so our suggestions are only guesses with limited information, which probablu will not help you.

• 19.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

Posted May 12, 2014 03:13 PM

My corporation don't have the support contract anymore, that's why I tried your help here, but I will try something else. Thanks everyone for the help. 

• 20.  RE: Cell Phone incompatibility - Aruba 3400

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2014 03:50 PM
    Gustavorr,

Have you tried turning on user debugging, connecting the device, then collecting the logs?