Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

Posted Dec 15, 2017 12:41 PM

Hi,

I read quite a bit about it and and trying to figure out if this is supported.

I have enabled centralised licensing with bigger pool of licenses on Master-Local setup of controllers in data center. I can see all licences combined. So far there is no VRRP setup in place yet.

Now I have couple single masters in different locations (they may or not be behind the NAT). Can I use point those remote controllers back to data center ones to use that big pool? If yes how? just by pointing to MASTER ip in data center in theirs filed "License Server IP" without enabling centralised licensing on all those remote masters?

• 2.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2017 01:57 AM

Yes you can if they are routable addresses.  Nat boundaries would create additional difficulty and should be avoided.

Please see the Centralized Licensing Chapter here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_65x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/New_Licenses/Multi__Network.htm?Highlight=centralized licensing

Double-check any scenario with your local Aruba Sales Engineer before making a major change in your licensing topology, however.

• 3.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

Posted Dec 16, 2017 11:45 AM
    Thank you, will give it a try in a test environment

• 4.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

Posted Dec 18, 2017 02:32 PM

So on the Centralized Licensing tab I have only "License Server IP" filled and it does not work (I am sure there is pleny of licensing on that server I am trying to connect). I can ping it from the controller. To I need to enable "Enable Centralized Licensing" on the client controller?

How to troubleshoot licensing issues?

• 5.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 18, 2017 02:51 PM

• 6.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

Posted Dec 18, 2017 03:11 PM

Just to make sure no Airwave needed?

Reboot required after updateing licensing settings?

• 7.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

Posted Dec 18, 2017 03:22 PM

That strange, I rebooted controller, it looks like it pulled license info but hartbets are lost, what could be the problem?  All my AP are with flag IL
    Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 3.17.12 PM.png

• 8.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

Posted Dec 18, 2017 03:39 PM

So after looking at this, the server side has all hart beats but clinet has all missed. The problem can be  Client IP which is behind the NAT like and goes like 192.168.1.100

I do have ablitiy to do 1:1 translation but how does central server suppose to know not to send hartbeat back to 192.168.1.100 but public IP I set in 1:1 translation?

My problem is lack of proper comunication back to the client, can I change sth in the routing/firewall of central server or client?

• 9.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2017 05:51 PM

I am not sure if this was tested or supported with NAT.

• 10.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

Posted Dec 18, 2017 10:00 PM

Maybe there is a way to statically set response diferently but I simply bypassed it by adding extra vlan with public IP and setting it as controller IP and now it works fine

• 11.  RE: Centralised licensening - multiple remote Masters to centralised licensing

Posted Mar 08, 2018 02:06 PM

Here is another the problem I could use vlan with public IP and set it as a controller IP and that works for hartbeats both ways but ....

it creates another problem of how discovery process of all my ap is done. As I understand for proper comunication including rebooting APs, new discovery of APs (even if whitelisted) I need controller IP on the same network as APs that are served using DHCP ( external router) in my case. So I can't have have at the same public IP and local private IP on the same vlan

How to approach that?