Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Centralised licensing query

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Centralised licensing query

Posted May 08, 2017 08:33 AM

Hi all, 

Currently in our environment, at each site, we have two controllers deployed in a Master/Master-standby deployment. We also have centralised licensing deployed between the two controllers. Licenses purchased have been purchased using the serial number of the Master for the AP, PEF, RFProtect licenses. We have an excess of licenses at several of our sites and we would like to deploy a pair of central license servers to pool all the licenses from all sites. My question is, do these licenses need to be transferred to the two new license servers, or can I simply adjust the configuration of the Master/Master-standby to point at the VRRP IP of the new license servers and the licenses will be added to the pool? I'd like to avoid regenerating the licenses if possible due to the number of sites we have.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Centralised licensing query
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2017 08:53 AM

Have you seen the article here?  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_65x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/New_Licenses/Config_CL.htm?Highlight=centralized licensing

They do not need to be transferred or regenerated.

• 3.  RE: Centralised licensing query

Posted May 08, 2017 09:06 AM

Thanks cjoseph.

I wasn't sure based on a couple of paragraphs in the 'Aruba Mobility Master Licensing Guide'. 

This one in particular...

'If a controller had previously installed sharable licenses before it was added to a Mobility Master as a managed device, those licenses are no longer usable on a managed device. These license keys must be added to the Mobility Master and then Mobility Master WebUI and assign them to the Managed node'.

Probably just my reading of it as when we ordered the licenses we had them assigned to specific serial numbers of wireless controllers.

• 4.  RE: Centralised licensing query

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2017 09:07 AM

Is this an ArubaOS 6.x deployment or an ArubaOS 8.x deployment?

• 5.  RE: Centralised licensing query

Posted May 08, 2017 09:09 AM

This is a 6.5 deployment

• 6.  RE: Centralised licensing query

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2017 09:11 AM

"'If a controller had previously installed sharable licenses before it was added to a Mobility Master as a managed device, those licenses are no longer usable on a managed device. These license keys must be added to the Mobility Master and then Mobility Master WebUI and assign them to the Managed node'."

--  This is from the ArubaOS 8.x documentation, not the 6.x documentation...

ArubaOS 8.x is a completely different architecture.

• 7.  RE: Centralised licensing query

Posted May 08, 2017 09:12 AM

Doh! thanks :(