Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Centralized Image Upgrade and AP Preload - SOP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Centralized Image Upgrade and AP Preload - SOP

Posted Sep 26, 2013 04:36 PM

Has anyone used Centralized Image Upgrade (CIU) and/or AP Preload (APP)?

I've been testing it on our testbed and can't see how it would be ready for primetime unless I'm missing something.

CIU:  The Master has to be upgraded through normal methods, so at some point you'll have the Master

on a different release than your Standby and Local Controllers.

APP:  The preload has to be instituted on the local controllers, not the master.  So you would have to have the

local controllers already upgraded (or maybe pre-loaded themselves?) before you can Apply the APP config.

After the local controller is rebooted, the APP configuration is no longer active and has to be re-enabled

again. 

Seems like there are too many Catch-22s with these two new features that render them ineffective unless

there's a SOP that I'm missing.  Can anyone shed light how to reduce the steps and downtime on the controllers

and APs by centralizing image upgrades and AP image preload?

thanks

mike

• 2.  RE: Centralized Image Upgrade and AP Preload - SOP

Posted Oct 09, 2013 05:25 PM

Hi Mike,

The sequence to steps to minimize downtime during upgrades should be:

1.  Configure CIU upgrade parameter on master controller.  The "Reboot automatically" checkbox should be left unchecked.

2.  The Master controller will provide download instructions to the standby master and local controllers and load the image to the system partition that is not marked "Default boot".

3.  If AP Preload is configured, the ap upgrade process will occur in the background after the controller image has been upgraded.

4.  After CIU and API has completed, reboot controller.  Rebooting AP right before controller reboot will minimize AP downtime.

Things to keep in mind:

1.  CIU parameters are configured by the master.

2.  API parameters are configured for each controller.  API needs to be re-enabled after a reboot.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,

-michael

• 3.  RE: Centralized Image Upgrade and AP Preload - SOP

Posted Mar 26, 2014 09:43 AM

I just had a chance to revisit this, doing the 6.4.0.2 upgrade onto my testbed.  The problem comes between steps #2 and #3, whereas the AP Preload on the local controllers has to use an existing partition to preload from.  But as of Step 2, the local controllers haven't been upgraded yet unless the Master was rebooted.

So my original quest to have the CIU and APP done in one step is still not obtainable. 

• 4.  RE: Centralized Image Upgrade and AP Preload - SOP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2014 01:19 PM

Old thread, but I'm looking at this myself.

So does the Master need to be running the new code to initiate the CIU?  Normally I would disconnect the locals from the masters and upgrade them first, then the locals.

I've done the AP pre-image upload.  That is a really neat feature.

• 5.  RE: Centralized Image Upgrade and AP Preload - SOP

Posted Oct 09, 2014 01:34 PM

Hi Michael,

Yes, CIU requires the master controller to be updated first.  Afterwards, CIU can be used to upgrade image to locals.

Regards,

-michael

• 6.  RE: Centralized Image Upgrade and AP Preload - SOP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2014 06:42 AM

So I guess you wouldn't really do this for a major version upgrade like 6.3 --> 6.4

• 7.  RE: Centralized Image Upgrade and AP Preload - SOP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2014 10:06 PM