Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Centralized Licensing in Multiple Controllers with 3600 Master

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Centralized Licensing in Multiple Controllers with 3600 Master

Posted Dec 15, 2014 05:48 PM

I have a short maintenance window for License Centralizing, so I want to make sure the configuration will go smoothly.

My Aruba AOS is 6.3.1.8 and the topology include:

• Two 3600s controllers configured as master and backup master with ONE license.
    • Two 7220s local controllers, VRRP with 768 licenses on each controller.
    • Another two 7220s local controllers, VRRP with 512 licenses on each controller.

I want to install Centralized License at the 3600 master controller.  From what I read and understood, to install centralized license at the 3600 master and backup master, I only need to enable centralize licensing on the MASTER CONTROLLER, and the backup master will be licensed with same number of license automatically.

(config) #license profile

(License provisioning profile) #centralized-licensing-enable

I also need to transfer all licenses from 7220s controllers to the 3600 master by calling TAC (?)

Questions:

1. After all licenses install to the Centralized Master, I can delete all licenses in the local controllers.  This is scary actions.  So all APs at the local controllers (License Client) will know how to associate to the new License Server without any action?   

2. From above you see I have total 768+512+1 or 1281 active licenses (I also have 1281 security bundle licenses.)  Can all of these licenses fit in 3600 master controller? Does this picture show 3600 limit at 512 APs?

license.jpg

Best Regards,

• 2.  RE: Centralized Licensing in Multiple Controllers with 3600 Master
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2014 05:57 PM

You can leave all of your licenses where they are. There is no need to transfer them. They will be sucked into the central license pool.

All you have to do is enable centralized licensing and also enable the license redundancy option and enter the information for the master redundancy VRRP instance.

• 3.  RE: Centralized Licensing in Multiple Controllers with 3600 Master

Posted Dec 15, 2014 10:53 PM

Tim,

You gave me three steps here:

1. Enable centralized licensing, this is clear:

(config) #license profile
    (License provisioning profile) #centralized-licensing-enable

2. Enable license redundancy: from the User Guide, if I already configure master and backup master and using them for centralized licensing, I do not need to do anything.  True?

3. Enter the information for the master redundancy VRRP instance: I assume this is for the local.  Does this step require if all of my local controllers associate to the master using the master VIP?  I don’t see any configurations require for local controller.

As always, thanks for your quick response.

• 4.  RE: Centralized Licensing in Multiple Controllers with 3600 Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2014 11:00 PM

Yes, you are correct. Sorry for the confusion. Simply check the "Enable centralized licensing" checkbox. The backup master will automagically become the license backup and the local controllers will automagically pull down licenses from the active master.

• 5.  RE: Centralized Licensing in Multiple Controllers with 3600 Master

Posted Dec 16, 2014 06:30 AM

Hi friend,

Here is how centralised licence will work.

1. When you enable centralised licence on the master, it will start polling to all the local controllers for sharing their licence information, such as, how many consumed and how many available for sharing ( Controller will not include it's factory permanent licence info)

CL1.JPG

2. Once the information is collected master will keep the info in the licence pool.

cl2.JPG

3. Any controller will consume licence as per their requirement. master will regularly share the pool information will all the controllers.

cl3.JPG

4. to achieve all these we don't need to delete or transfer licences even you don't need to take TAC help on this. this process is fully automated.

5. Standby master can work as backup for licence pool

Finally, AP count of any controller defines how many APs can be terminated on that controller and it is no where concern to the centralised license, here 3600 controller suppose to maintain the the pool of 1281 licenses ,not the APs :) therefore don't worry about the AP capacity of the controller.

Hope got clarity on this, please go ahead and configure.

cl4.JPG

Feel free for any further help on this.

• 6.  RE: Centralized Licensing in Multiple Controllers with 3600 Master

Posted Dec 16, 2014 03:07 PM

It works as advertise!

The  confused part that I was thinking by centralized licensing, all local licenses must be consolidated to the master.  It is cumbersome, and you can not do that because the limitation of the 3600. 

Thank you all for your helps ! 

• 7.  RE: Centralized Licensing in Multiple Controllers with 3600 Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 31, 2016 11:46 AM

Hi together,

Can anybody tell me what the License limit on a 7210 Controller is, if centralized licensing is used and

the 7210 acts as Master Controller. So actually the "size of the license pool". I guess there must be a limit, but i was not able to find it.

Many thanks,

Daniel

• 8.  RE: Centralized Licensing in Multiple Controllers with 3600 Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 31, 2016 01:42 PM

There is no hard limit.  

• QA has tested with approx. 700 controllers with license pool up to 20,000