Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Centralized Licensing in single Master:Local

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Centralized Licensing in single Master:Local

Posted Sep 16, 2014 08:02 PM

I have two controllers.  One is a Master and the other is a Local.  I use the Master for the AP (not the Local).  When the Master fails, the AP go to the Local controller.  

How can I use central licensing here?  I'm okay if I don't have a backup license server.  I just want to use one license for each AP and not use two licenses (One in the Master and one in the Local)

• 2.  RE: Centralized Licensing in single Master:Local
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2014 08:03 PM
    You literally just enable centralized licensing on the master. No other configuration is needed.

• 3.  RE: Centralized Licensing in single Master:Local

Posted Sep 16, 2014 08:08 PM

Thanks. 

I may not understand it correclty, but even though the AP are connected to the Master and not the Local (only when Master fails as typically it's the opposite I believe), the Local controller will know those licenses even though the AP are not actively terminated on the Local right now? 

• 4.  RE: Centralized Licensing in single Master:Local

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2014 08:24 PM

Yes, the licenses follow the APs. Once you enable it, there will be a giant "pool" of licenses available to any controller that is pointed to the licensing server.

• 5.  RE: Centralized Licensing in single Master:Local

Posted Sep 17, 2014 12:04 PM

Awesome.  The documents make better sense.  I thought when a new AP came up on the local it asked the Master for a new license (but it couldn't if it was down).   I now read that when the Master goes down the locals picks up the license pool for 30 days to support the AP to fall over and any new AP as long as it doesn't go above the license totals.  Thanks.