Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Centralized licensing - 1 master and 6 local controllers

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Centralized licensing - 1 master and 6 local controllers

Posted Nov 19, 2014 09:33 AM

Hi All,

Our current environment consists of 1 master contoller(3200) and 6 local controllers(M3 and 650s).  Each of the controllers are currently running their own licenses, but we are moving toward the centralized licensing model.  All of the controller licenses have been converted over and have inputted into the master controller.  I believe all I need to to is the enable the check box for 'enable centralized licensing' and enter the IP of the master controller on the Centralized Licenses tab.  I have the follow questions below.

Is the only way to get the centralized licensing setup on the local controller via the master controller?  

Also will the APs need to be rebooted?

If for some reason I need to switch back to local licensing will everything still function as advertised?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

• 2.  RE: Centralized licensing - 1 master and 6 local controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2014 09:44 AM

Centralized licensing is turned on at the master.  That is all you have to do.

No rebooting is necessary.

If you switch back to local licensing local controllers will only have access to licenses that were entered on them individually.

After centralized licensing is enabled at the master, all licenses can be entered at the master.  If you switch back (nobody does this), those licenses will not be available to the local controller.

• 3.  RE: Centralized licensing - 1 master and 6 local controllers

Posted Nov 19, 2014 09:58 AM

Thanks Colin.

So just a checkbox and enter the IP of the master controller(licensing server) and we are good to go?

• 4.  RE: Centralized licensing - 1 master and 6 local controllers
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2014 10:01 AM

Bingdude,

No, ONLY the checkbox.

The ip address of the licensing server is only if you want to have a dedicated master licensing server that is not part of your master/local hierarchy (very few people do this).  It is much more straightforward to have a single master/local cluster and just enable the checkbox on the master controller.