Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Centralized licensing topology Master / Backup (OS 6.3.1)

Hello

I have two 3600 controller configured in Master / Backup thanks to VRRP.

I owns licenses for only one controller, these licenses are enabled on the Master for the management of access points.
Do I only activate the "Centralized-licensing-enable" function to ensure that my Master Controller provides its licenses Controller Backup in case of failure of the Master?

I also turn this feature on the Backup, am I right?

Laetitia,

PS: Do not speak English well, I went through the Google translator ...

Guru Elite

Re: Centralized licensing topology Master / Backup (OS 6.3.1)

laetitia wrote:

Hello

I have two 3600 controller configured in Master / Backup thanks to VRRP.

I owns licenses for only one controller, these licenses are enabled on the Master for the management of access points.
Do I only activate the "Centralized-licensing-enable" function to ensure that my Master Controller provides its licenses Controller Backup in case of failure of the Master?

I also turn this feature on the Backup, am I right?

Laetitia,

PS: Do not speak English well, I went through the Google translator ...

If you  already have a master/backup master configured, you only need to Activate the "centralized-licensing-enable" function on the master.  It will be enabled automatically on the backup master AND the local controllers.  Just make sure that you click on "save configuration" or type "write mem" after you execute that, so that the locals and the backup master can get the configuration change.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thank you for your quick response!

I enable this function (Centralized-licensing-enable) on both controllers (master and backup), is it a problem?

Of course I made a backup (save configuration) after each configuration change ...
Guru Elite

You should be ok.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Super Contributor II

Master Backup is compulsory for centralized licensing ? Can't we do that if you we have only two controller's configured in VRRP mode where one is active and secondary is redundant ?
Thanks & Regards
Syed Murad Ali
ACMP ACMA CCNA
Occasional Contributor I

We have this architecture there precisely: just two controllers in Master / Backup thanks to VRRP. I do not have a Local Controller.

All my AP is managed by the master. 

Tomorrow, I will test the centralized licensing and especially check my AP continue to operate after you have disconnected the VRRP-Master.
If all goes well, the AP (normally managed by the VRRP-Master) should be managed by the VRRP-Backup (now Master).

In fact, I can not quite understand how the VRRP-backup recovers licenses if the VRRP-Master (which has licenses) is no longer on the network ... If someone can explain to me, just for my knowledge base ....

Super Contributor II

Please share your experience after testing.
Thanks & Regards
Syed Murad Ali
ACMP ACMA CCNA

laetitia how did this all work out for you?

Occasional Contributor I

Sorry, I completely forgot and post the results of my test.

It went great! I only lost 2 ping when I turn off my main controller.
My controller backup then took control of my AP though I have no license installed on it: virtualization licensing works perfectly well.

Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I have the exact same situation here ... With 2 master controllers, but when I shut down my master one, the backup is becoming the new master but the licence is not copied to the standby, and my AP's are lost ...

I just enabled centralized license feature like you did. 

Do I have a way to verify my config ?

I probably missed something ....

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: