Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Change enable passwd from GUI?

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Change enable passwd from GUI?

MVP
    Posted Dec 13, 2011 05:39 AM

Is it possible at all to change a controlls enable password from GUI? I can't seem to find anything in the GUI to change it?

We do have the admin passwd but not the enable password and getting console access is difficult.

So, is it possible to change the enable secret from the GUI?

• 2.  RE: Change enable passwd from GUI?

Posted Dec 13, 2011 06:03 AM

RUN ......controller Wizard ......:)

• 3.  RE: Change enable passwd from GUI?

Posted Dec 16, 2011 09:35 PM

Keep in mind that you can change the password using SSH as well (not just console)

Also keep in mind that there is a SSH emulation under:  Diagnostics/General/SSH Terminal that you might find hand to do these quick one or two command config changes.

Lots of options!

• 4.  RE: Change enable passwd from GUI?

Posted Dec 19, 2011 02:19 PM

My enable password did not work, so I tried the Controller Wizard to reset it, and that does not work. Console access is problematic as the Controller is in a data center in a different city.

• 5.  RE: Change enable passwd from GUI?

Posted Dec 19, 2011 02:22 PM

The only way I know of to change the enable password is via console access and the "password" and "forgetme!" login.

• 6.  RE: Change enable passwd from GUI?

Posted Dec 19, 2011 02:24 PM

So, let me correct myself before anyone else... :)

You can CHANGE the password if you already know it from the CLI with SSH access.

If you have lost it and need to RECOVER it, the only way I know is through the console.

• 7.  RE: Change enable passwd from GUI?

Posted Dec 19, 2011 07:53 PM

If you do have someone on-site, here are the instructions from the KB in case this helps.

To restore the admin password on the controller, follow these steps:

1. Log in from the console.
    2. Use "password" as the user name and use "forgetme!" as the password.
    3. Enable the mode password as "enable".
    4. In configuration mode, enter the ‘mgmt-user admin root’ command to reset the admin password.
    5. Re-login using the new admin password.
    6. In configuration mode, enter the ‘enable secret’ command to reset the enable mode password.

For example:

User: password 
    Password: forgetme!
    (aruba) >enable
    Password: enable

(aruba) #configure terminal
    Enter Configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z
    (aruba) (config) #mgmt-user admin root

Password: <new admin password>
    Re-Type password: <new admin password>
    (aruba) (config) #exit
    (aruba) #exit
    (aruba) >exit

User: admin
    Password: <new admin password>
    (aruba) >enable
    Password: enable

(aruba) #configure terminal
    Enter Configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z
    (aruba) (config) #enable secret

Password: <new enable password>
    Re-Type password: <new enable password>
    (aruba) (config) #write memory

• 8.  RE: Change enable passwd from GUI?

Posted Aug 28, 2012 11:40 AM

Hate to bump the thread but I've run into an issue.

I have an Aruba6000 with 2 supervisor cards and 2 line cards.  (I did not order this configuration.)  When I follow the "password/forgetme!" login method to reset the username and password on the second, non-active, supervisor card it gives me the response "The switch ip is not configured. Configure the switch ip address before executing any command".  Now, I do not know any root level users I can log into, and of course, the whole reason I'm using the "password/forgetme!" method is to fix that!

How do you configure the switch IP without being able to reset a root account's password?  Is there a method using a switch on the hardware to force a full factory reset on just the one supervisor card?

• 9.  RE: Change enable passwd from GUI?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 12:14 AM

I successfully changed the enable password using controller wizard.

could you please provide the steps that you tried and the version that you used?

• 10.  RE: Change enable passwd from GUI?

Posted Sep 12, 2017 09:08 AM

I hate to bother you, but when you changed the enable password via the setup wizard, did it wipe any of your other config settings or just the change you made?

We have run into the same issue with our 2 controllers and raised floor access is very hard to get, so the console method is not an easy option for us.