Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Changing controller IP via CLI?

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:11 AM

Having a few issues trying to change the controller IP via CLI... running on v3 code, which appears to use somewhat different commands to newer releases, so Ive been told, and Im not 100% sure of the correct syntax.  CLI help has revealed a few possible options, but as Im not certain, Im somewhat reluctant to try...

Someohow, the controller IP has changed from the ip/vlan it was set to, to another, poss during a de-pairting/reboot procedure done a while back, whatever the reason, I need to put it back on the corret vlan/ip for the network it is on.

Any help would be appreciated!..

• 2.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:21 AM

EDIT:  The below command was introduced in 3.4, not sure if you are on that.

Do you need to just change the VLAN that is being used for the Controller IP?    If the VLAN and IP are defined the command is:

controller-ip vlan <id>

It will prompt for a reboot.

• 3.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:26 AM

Thats what Id been told, and tried.. but controller-ip isnt a listed command!

If I do ? at config# .. it reveals Clock... Crypto...

You got in there before I replied!!

I need to change both the vlan and the IP the controller is using...

• 4.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:28 AM

If you are running earlier version that 3.4 then the controller IP will be VLAN 1 by default or the Loopback if you have one defined.

• 5.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:32 AM

We have multiple controllers which are all using a management vlan (not vlan1).. for some reason, one of the controllers has decided to use a different vlan and IP, which I need to change back to the correct management vlan and IP.  No loopback address is configured on any of them.

• 6.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:36 AM

Sorry for the confusion, so you want to change the IP of the management VLAN, not the "controller ip".

Try the following:

interface mgmt

ip adddress x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

• 7.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:41 AM

I need to change the controller ip... sorry, maybe im not explaining myself very well!

If I do a "show switch ip" on the controllers all but one tell me they are on on vlan123 and the correct IP for that network.  One of the controllers is telling me its vlan is 456 with another IP...  I need to put this one back on vlan 123 with the correct IP for that network.

• 8.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:44 AM

what version of code are you on?

• 9.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:50 AM

ArubaOS 3.3.2.14

• 10.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:57 AM
    Just configure the loopback interface and that will become your controller ip but ill require they you reboot afterwards also if you have master/local configure you have to make sure you update that too.

• 11.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 09:58 AM

but none of the other controllers have their loopbacks configured.. so I just want to put this one back on the same network that they are using... 

At the moment the controller in quesiton was disassociated from from the master.. Im trying to  join it back, but the master is saying it cant see it, as the IP address it thought it was, and used to be, somehow changed.. Im simply trying to put things back the way there were and restore the group.

• 12.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 10:02 AM

Prior to 3.4, the controller determines the "switch IP" in the following manner:

1) loopback (if defined)

2) VLAN 1

3) First configured VLAN

If the controller in question does not have the VLAN and IP defined then set it up:

vlan 123

interface vlan 123

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

wr mem

reload

• 13.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 10:05 AM

Ok, so assuming the the first configured VLAN was vlan123, for use as a amanagement network for the controllers, how do I put it back onto that vlan and assign it the IP it should have.  I dont know how/why it somehow changed and appears to be using vlan 456, which is actually used by wlan clients.

Replied before me again!

If I look at the vlan config on the gui, vlan 123 exists, and has the correct IP, but the controller is using another one.. I just want to change it back!

• 14.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 10:12 AM

If 123 is defined and is the "first configured vlan" then it "should" be the contoller ip.      This goes back  a while, but i did at one time run into something similar, and if I recall TAC had me just the loopback to an IP on that VLAN (123 in your case).  And all was good.

• 15.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 10:17 AM

But its already configured and assigned to an interface...

If I look at the list of vlans on the gui.. there are about 10.  One of them, vlan 123 is configured with the IP address 1.2.3.4 and assigned to an interface.  This vlan exists on each of our controllers with appropriate IP.

The one controller is saying its IP is from one of the other vlans.  A tech I was speaking to, who was unfamiliar with v3 cli commands, says in newever versions you can simply select the IP for the controller from the a drop down box in the gui.. this doesnt exisit on the code we have.

At the time of setup vlan 123 was the "first" configured vlan.. obviously, so a connection across the lan could be made.. then more vlans added.  This vlan, based on vlan id, is now at the higher end of the vlans configured.  Even the vlan and ip it is saying it is, is not the first configured vlan.. I dont know how or why it changed.

I cant believe I cant just tell the controller that its ip should be 1.2.3.4 on vlan 123 and not ip 5.6.7.8 on vlan 456.

Maybe ill try the loopback.. it just doesnt seem right, when none of the others have one configured!

• 16.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 10:25 AM

The issue you are experiencing is why they added the controller-ip command in 3.4.   If VLAN 123 is not the "first configurd vlan" then it will not be the switch IP.  If you have other VLANs above it, then I would add an IP to the loopback on 123 then reboot the controller.   This should get you back in business.

• 17.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 10:57 AM

Loopbacks are usually assigned to a vlan.. and cant see anyway to perform such a task...

• 18.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 11:02 AM

You don't assign it to a vlan; you just give it an IP.  You'll need another IP on the actual VLAN (123 for example) for routing, etc.

interface loopback

ip address x.x.x.x (no mask; it assumes /32)

• 19.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 22, 2013 11:08 AM

Sorry, I meant loopbacks arent configured for a vlan...

If you have other VLANs above it, then I would add an IP to the loopback on 123 then reboot the controller

It looked like you were suggesting I added the loopback IP to vlan 123, which Is why I questioned it...

• 20.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 28, 2013 07:08 PM

Something like this?

vlan 123
    int vlan 123
    ip address 192.168.123.1 255.255.255.0 

controller-ip vlan 123
    interface mgmt

• 21.  RE: Changing controller IP via CLI?

Posted Mar 28, 2013 08:09 PM

@TESC-DanScherck     They are running older code; the controller-ip command doesn't exist.

@$k3l3t0r      If you want VLAN 123 to be the controller IP VLAN in this case (ArubaOS prior to 3.4 and there are VLANs with IPs defined before VLAN 123) you need to add a loopback IP; an IP on VLAN 123

config terminal

(config) #interface loopback
    (config-loop)#ip address x.x.x.x  (a second IP on VLAN 123)

wr mem

reload (reboot for loopback to become controller IP)