Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Channel overlay in VRF

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Channel overlay in VRF

Posted Feb 13, 2018 04:42 PM

Can someone clarify for me, what is indicated by the color shapes

here:

Visual RF, withVisual RF, with

Visual RF, with the "Channel" overlay selected in AP Overlays

• 2.  RE: Channel overlay in VRF
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2018 03:04 AM

From the help section:

Channel, then click to select an option, such as Signal Cutoff, Band, Channel, or Floors. This overlay identifies regions covered by specific channels, or regions with overlapping coverage on one selected channel or all channels in the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz radio band. Hover your mouse over coverage areas for details about the APs.

What this overlay helps you to understand is at what locations your have Co-Channel-Interference (CCI), or where you are in the reach of multiple APs that are transmitting on the same channel. You can set the Signal-Cutoff to control what signal strength is considered overlapping. In short, in the marked areas in your screenshot, at those locations the client can see two or more Access Points transmitting on the same channel.

In WiFi design, in general, you try to reduce the CCI, so try to keep this overlay as empty as possible while keeping the overall coverage (all channels combined) as good as possible.

• 3.  RE: Channel overlay in VRF

Posted Feb 14, 2018 10:33 AM

Herman,

Thank you! I understand CCI, but VRF merely labels it as "Channel" so I wasn't clear that that meant CCI.

So, if I am seeing signal from a different floor, does that mean I should be tweaking power settings for those APs? Isn't that something that ARM would handle automatically? 

• 4.  RE: Channel overlay in VRF

Posted Feb 21, 2018 08:34 AM

What's a good signal cutoff for this display?

• 5.  RE: Channel overlay in VRF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2018 11:22 AM

That depends what you want to do with it. When set to -65 dBm, it shows where the real problems are with CCI. The default setting of -75 probably is most useful. If you can configure your environment to have little overlap at that signal level, that is good. Please note that tweaking your environment just to get this good might not be the optimal setup. It is just one view to take into account and balance the choices for the best design of your network.