Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Channle reuse

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Channle reuse

Posted Jan 15, 2012 01:25 AM

Hi everyone:

Here is a photograph from my specturm analysis.It indicates my channel utillization and interferance.QB~FCDL0F12D2@DL~_%0L}9.jpg

And at the same time, there 3 aps in a floor, and about 10meters an ap.These Aps can't use the channel averagely.

The 3 Aps work on channel 1 11 1 or 1 1 1.I don' t know why the ap can't work on the channel 6,it's a waste not to use this channel

I think it's not the perfect channel utilization,and I find the channel reuse.

If I choose channe reuse dynamic,can the 3APs work on the perfect way which I mean 1 6 11.

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Channle reuse

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2012 01:38 AM
      |   view attached

Spectrum Analysis and Interference are not the only parameters used to determine what channel and power an access point are on.  Please see the attached ARM supplement to see how this is determined.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    ARM Doc Supplement.pdf   208 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Channle reuse

Posted Jan 15, 2012 06:19 AM

Your attachments is very helpful to me.

I have some ideas about this case.

I will have a try to adjust the rf profile tomorrow.

Hope the channel will be normal successfully.

• 4.  RE: Channle reuse
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2012 06:30 AM

Most of the time, the channel does not change because "Client Aware" is on.  Make sure that is unchecked.  The defaults usually work very well.

• 5.  RE: Channle reuse

Posted Jan 15, 2012 07:02 AM

Thanks for your note.

After reading your attachment.I have a question

QI7@IKKQ6EOX.jpg" alt="$AJ1QGR`SW[QI7@IKKQ6EOX.jpg" src="https://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/HPE/MigratedInlineFiles/a5611ab835cf48daad778ab52af21ac5_5a38fd184ea741099b7a0dfdf15839dc" border="0" align="center">

How to caculate this value to compare with the value I set.

Now x is 10, y is 0,a is 853,b is 126,c is 0,d is 0.

3YQGKC7%37%U)8{WBN)`N2Q.jpg

The weighted caculation means log?

So when i see my rf summary value,I should compare the value log(x/y) with ideal coverge Index,

compare the value log(a+b+c+d) with Free channel Index?

Can I comprehend that?

• 6.  RE: Channle reuse

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2012 07:50 AM

Weighted means x+y and a+b+c+d

x+y in "general" is used to determine how much coverage your WLAN is providing on a channel.  The cov-idx is compared with the Ideal Coverage Index parameter in the GUI.

a+b+c+d in "general" is used to determine how much interference is on a channel.

• 7.  RE: Channle reuse

Posted Jan 15, 2012 08:25 AM

yeah,but the a+b+c+d vlaue is over the limit of free channel Index which range is 2-20

and x+y is also over the limit of Ideal Coverge Index.

Is there any special algorithms between the a+b+c+d or x+y?

I assume log(x+y) or  log (a+b+c+d).Cause it's value is near the range.

• 8.  RE: Channle reuse
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2012 08:31 AM

@zAke wrote:

yeah,but the a+b+c+d vlaue is over the limit of free channel Index which range is 2-20

and x+y is also over the limit of Ideal Coverge Index.

Is there any special algorithms between the a+b+c+d or x+y?

I assume log(x+y) or  log (a+b+c+d).Cause it's value is near the range.

a+b+c+d is interference.  It is NOT compared to coverage.  It is compared to the a+b+c+d on other channels to make sure the access point does not change to a channel that has more interference than the one it is on currently.

x+y indicates how much coverage your WLAN is providing on a channel.  The access point does not automatically change channel when x+y is greater than the coverage index.  It uses this to determine when there is enough or too much coverage on your WLAN on that channel.

There are quite a few more parameters that are considered before the access point will change channel, so no single parameter determines if an access point will change channel or not.

• 9.  RE: Channle reuse

Posted Jan 15, 2012 08:53 AM

seems I have a lot to learn and read.

Thanks for your detialed an prompt reply :-)

• 10.  RE: Channle reuse

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2012 09:17 AM

The good part is that if you just work with the default parameters, it automatically does everything.  You have to change very little.

• 11.  RE: Channle reuse

Posted Mar 09, 2012 12:27 AM
      |   view attached

I'm glad to see that document is still getting some use!  I wrote it several years ago, though, and haven't updated it since the ARM documentation got incorporated into the ArubaOS User Guide.  Since it looks like a standalone document is still helpful for you, I've updated the old 3.x  Release Notes supplement to include the latest ArubaOS 6.1 information on Spectrum Load Balancing , RX Sensitivity Tuning Based Channel Reuse and Non-802.11 Noise Interference Immunity.  

If you can think of any improvements or suggestions for the next revision of the ARM chapter of the ArubaOS User Guide, let me know and I'll do my best to add in the fixes before the next revision deadline.

Hope this helps!

Attachment(s)

pdf
    ARM_Doc_Supplement_Rev2.pdf   157 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: Channle reuse

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2012 05:58 AM

Thank you lrosenquist!