Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Chromebooks and EAP-GTC

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Chromebooks and EAP-GTC

Posted Mar 13, 2013 02:34 PM

My site recently purchaced a few Chromebooks and I would like for them to get on our wireless network (obviously, otherwise they are useless). When I select my network to set up, it immediately takes me to the advanced wireless settings to configure the connection. My EAP method PEAP is an option, so I choose it. Then for Phase 2 authentication, I assume I am supposed to choose GTC, since that is what my network is set up with, however that is not an option. So I am stuck.

Does anyone know, do the Chromebooks not support this type of authentication? I've asked google and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about and now my questions is floating around in google limbo. If anyone has any tips or is willing to help walk me through this, I would greatly appreciate it. 

• 2.  RE: Chromebooks and EAP-GTC

Posted Mar 19, 2013 11:06 PM

From what I have been able to research chomebooks do not support gtc. You will need to enable mschapv2 on your network and then setup the chromebook.

Why are you running gtc? I have many many customers and I have not had one want gtc setup, just want to know the use case.

• 3.  RE: Chromebooks and EAP-GTC

Posted Mar 20, 2013 10:35 AM

Thank you for the responce. Google finally confirmed that they do not support GTC as well. I am not exactly sure why GTC is being used. I didn't set up the network. I think that perhaps because it plays friedly with Apple systems. We do not have a Windows Radius server, instead we just use an Apple server and we use the LDAP service to authenticate our clients. Does that make sense?

• 4.  RE: Chromebooks and EAP-GTC
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 20, 2013 10:42 AM

Apple might play nice with GTC (I'd have to look in to it), Mac's also have no issue using msChapv2. Windows on the other hand defaults to msChapv2 and if you want to use GTC then you would need to load software in order for it to work. I don't see any benefits in running GTC. I would run eap/msChapv2 as that seems to be the standard everyone else is running. 

Please mark this post as resolved:

Google does not support GTC on Chromebooks at this time. 

• 5.  RE: Chromebooks and EAP-GTC

Posted Mar 20, 2013 11:41 AM

I know I just closed this post but we kind of went off topic with as to why I am using GTC. Anyways, I did try to change it to MSChap but I get the following error.

Error processing command 'aaa authentication dot1x "LDAP" termination inner-eap-type eap-mschapv2':Error: dot1x-server-group 'GA-Students' in aaa profile 'GA-Students' contains LDAP server(s). To support this configuration dot1x profile 'LDAP' should have termination enabled and eaptype set to eap-tls or eap-peap with gtc as the only innereaptype