Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Chromecast Firewall Settings

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Chromecast Firewall Settings

MVP
    Posted Dec 05, 2013 01:13 PM

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out how to get a Chromecast device working over our Aruba wireless network. I'm assuming that it's not working because a port, or ports, need to be opened on the firewall.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

• 2.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2013 01:29 PM
      |   view attached

Chromecast service discovery requires both the Chromecast and the client device to be on the same layer 2 segment (similar to Apple devices). It uses the DIAL protocol.

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

MVP
    Posted Dec 05, 2013 01:31 PM

the chromecast and the laptop are both on the same segment. What else needs to be done? I know there a certain UDP port has to be opened but I'm not sure which and how to do it.

• 4.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2013 01:33 PM

The service discovery uses multicast. Do you have drop broadcast/multicast enabled? 

This is the same situation as AirPrint and AirPlay. AirGroup captures the multicast discovery and service requests.

• 5.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

MVP
    Posted Dec 05, 2013 01:44 PM

yes, Drop Broadcast and Multicast is enabled becasue i think Airgroup requires it. Where do I go from here?

• 6.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2013 01:46 PM
    Chromecast will not work with drop broadcast/multicast enabled.

• 7.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2013 04:48 PM

@derbystar16 wrote:

yes, Drop Broadcast and Multicast is enabled becasue i think Airgroup requires it. Where do I go from here?

Depending on what you have for APs installed, you can upgrade next year to our next version.  We are looking at adding support for Chromecast to the AirGroup feature.

• 8.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

MVP
    Posted Dec 06, 2013 08:13 AM

We are currently using AP-105 in classrooms and AP-93H in our dorms.

When is the next OS release going to include support for Chromecast in Airgroup?

• 9.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2013 08:15 AM
    Please work with your account team for more specifics. You can expect something in the first quarter of next year.

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 06, 2013 08:16 AM

Both of those APs will be supported.

This OS will most likely drop in early 2014.

• 11.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

Posted Jan 11, 2014 05:42 PM

So to clarify, are you saying that if I currently want to support Apple services via Airgroup (AirGroup is turned on, as is "allowall") then I will not be able to also use Chromecast right now? I am using a single RAP155.

• 12.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2014 05:50 PM
    Correct. Chromecast used the DIAL protocol which will be supported in a future AOS release.

• 13.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

Posted Jan 11, 2014 05:54 PM

Thanks for the info. Huge bummer though! Do you know of any crafty workarounds one could do in the meantime? We do love our chromecast :)

(disclaimer: i am a home user who bought a 155 and 109 because i couldn't deal with apple airport crap anymore and am now in way over my head. But the signal strength on this system is amazing!)

• 14.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

Posted Jan 11, 2014 06:16 PM

Also, is this likely why other devices that broadcast availability (e.g., Denon AVR-X2000) to the network are no longer findable? They worked fine under the previously existing Airport network.

• 15.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2014 07:00 PM

The receiver most likely uses DLNA or another L2 discovery protocol. The only way to get them to work would be to ensure that all the devices are in the same L2 segment (same VLAN), same SSID (some Chromecast apps actually check the ESSID name even though it doesn't really matter) and you'd need to turn off drop broadcast and multicast.

The best thing would be to wait because you won't have to make any of those changes, "It just works".

• 16.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2014 07:04 PM

Looks like the receiver does indeed use DLNA. Stay tuned for DLNA and Chromecast support. It won't be long!

dlna-receiver.png

• 17.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

Posted Jan 11, 2014 07:13 PM

Got it...and this is coming in the near future? Thanks!

• 18.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

Posted Jan 11, 2014 07:28 PM

BTW...the Denon and AppleTV finally showed up, it just took about 30 minutes or so. Since the AppleTV works again, I can live without the Chromecast for another month or so...

• 19.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

Posted Feb 10, 2014 01:40 PM

Any updates Tim? 

• 20.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2014 06:03 PM

• 21.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

Posted Jan 05, 2017 09:53 AM

I have also same problem. my laptop is in vlan 10 en chromecast is in vlan 50. Vlan 10 has permission to surf everywhere. I can't see chromecast in vlan 10. should I open any port in vlan 10 for chromecast in vlan 50. I don't knwo what should I do now. can any one suggest me. 

• 22.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2017 10:16 AM

Chromecast only works in a single subnet natively.  Airgroup can make it work across subnets.  Please see the troubleshooting article here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Troubleshooting/ArubaOS/AirGroup_Troubleshooting/Web_Help_Index.htm#arubaframestyles/troubleshooting topics/airgroup.htm%3FTocPath%3D_____2

• 23.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

Posted Jan 05, 2017 11:58 AM

link is not more active. can see this plz

• 24.  RE: Chromecast Firewall Settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2017 03:23 PM
    http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Troubleshooting/ArubaOS/AirGroup_Troubleshooting/Web_Help_Index.htm#arubaframestyles/troubleshooting topics/airgroup.htm%3FTocPath%3D_____2