Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco Nexus 7K and wireless controller

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Cisco Nexus 7K and wireless controller

Posted May 22, 2013 03:27 PM

We have Nexus 7k's in our core running RPVST how do I connect the wireless controllers to the core and avoid spanning tree issues?  Controlers are running 5.0.4.9.  Two controllers in HA pair using VRRP for IP address used by access points (Aruba-master)

• 2.  RE: Cisco Nexus 7K and wireless controller

Posted May 22, 2013 05:24 PM

How are you trying to configure it , trunk or port-channel ?

• 3.  RE: Cisco Nexus 7K and wireless controller

Posted May 22, 2013 05:47 PM

The controllers are configured with a trunk.  Each controller has a single trunk link to one of the core switches.  

• 4.  RE: Cisco Nexus 7K and wireless controller

Posted May 22, 2013 06:00 PM
    From my own experience is better to turn off STP on the controller and let your uplink switches (Core or Distribution) do the stp calculation.

I have seen issues because aruba controller becomes root .

• 5.  RE: Cisco Nexus 7K and wireless controller

Posted May 22, 2013 06:12 PM

So in the controller turn off STP on the ports connected to the cisco 7k switch?  

• 6.  RE: Cisco Nexus 7K and wireless controller

Posted May 22, 2013 06:16 PM

Turn it off globally : (controller) (config) #no spanning-tree 

To be SURE you should probably open a TAC case and that way Aruba TAC engineers take a look at your config and provide you the best answer/solution.

• 7.  RE: Cisco Nexus 7K and wireless controller

Posted May 22, 2013 07:13 PM

I'll second the advice.

We're running Master and Local (rather than VRRP) but but connect to the Nextus 7K fabric.

With Spanning-Tree off on each vlan (missed the global trick) we were great until we added a VLAN and forgot to turn it off there.

Fortunately the STP block wasn't catastrophic and we were able to recover smoothly.

We now also turn it off globally.

• 8.  RE: Cisco Nexus 7K and wireless controller

Posted May 23, 2013 09:53 AM

Thanks Guys.