Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass change IP

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  ClearPass change IP

Posted Apr 17, 2018 03:28 AM
    Morning all
    Due to redesign I’m considering changing the IP address of the data interface of the clearpass appliance. Currently this up adress hosts captive portal for a customer. We run self registrations for employees and visitors through it. If this address is changed is there a need for them to go through the self reg process again? We also have mac caching deployed with end point repository as with source, so as long as the macs are still in there I should be ok right?
    Thanks

• 2.  RE: ClearPass change IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 06:54 AM

Hello,

After changing the Ip address there will be no need for the user to register their devices again because the devices already registered will not be deleted from guest device db if the ip address is changed.

Mac caching will also normally work until the timer configured on the attribute "mac cache expiry" ends.

Regards.

• 3.  RE: ClearPass change IP

Posted Apr 17, 2018 11:35 AM

I'm not a ClearPass expert but if you have a pair of CPPM devices make sure to think about the VIP address. Also you could have several different IP interfaces for data, some for internal clients and other for guest traffic, depending on your design. In my setup the CPPM IP's are also mentioned in the controller, for the purposes of pointing to the guest login page. 

Anywho like the other poster mentioned, the auth is never based on the IP so I can't imgine your clients would need to authenticate again. 

• 4.  RE: ClearPass change IP

Posted Apr 17, 2018 11:38 AM

One more thing, you could have some DHCP relay pointing to the current CPPM IP. 

• 5.  RE: ClearPass change IP

Posted Apr 17, 2018 11:59 AM
    Thanks for replies folks. Yes I’m ok with the relevant parts of config to change on controller and ClearPass etc, it was just the impact of the change on the user base I was concerned about.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass change IP

Posted Apr 17, 2018 12:01 PM

Hi;

If you have a DHCP relay to Clearpass you can see in endp-point repository the MAC with categorization.

The clearpass don't respond to DHCP request, but it see the fingerprint of devices.

Regards.