Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass Server Certificate is expiring

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Clearpass Server Certificate is expiring

Posted Dec 04, 2013 01:25 AM

Hi Community,

I wanted to inquire about any documentation regarding how to renew expiring clearpass server certificate. Also, I need to know what would be the impact/risk if an internal CA is used once the cert expires.

Thanks

Oliver

• 2.  RE: Clearpass Server Certificate is expiring

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2013 07:39 AM

@oliverm wrote:

Hi Community,

I wanted to inquire about any documentation regarding how to renew expiring clearpass server certificate. Also, I need to know what would be the impact/risk if an internal CA is used once the cert expires.

Thanks

Oliver

To renew the certificate, you need to generate a new CSR under Administration> Certificates > Server Certificate

You don't want the certificate to expire, because in general, alot of clients will refuse to connect to an expired certficate.

If you have a public certificate right now and you switch to a private certificate, as long as all of your clients trust it, you will be fine from a 802.1x perspective.  On the other hand, since the same certificate is used for guest access, clients that are not part of your domain will not trust that certificate and they will get a trust errror when hitting your guest portal.  If you renew with a public certificate, just make sure that all of your clients trust their CA (you can ask the CA if all your clients do) and you *should* be fine.  If your clients are configured to ONLY trust that specific server certificate or CA for , you could have issues..  First find out if "Validate Server Certificate" is configured on your wireless clients and see what is or is not checked...

• 3.  RE: Clearpass Server Certificate is expiring

Posted Dec 04, 2013 08:05 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The default clearpass cert, is it a public cert?

Thanks

Oliver

• 4.  RE: Clearpass Server Certificate is expiring
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 04, 2013 08:08 AM

It is not.  If you look under Administration> Certificates> Server Certificate, it should tell you what you are working with.  Please work with TAC to determine what your true options are if you are close to making a change.

• 5.  RE: Clearpass Server Certificate is expiring

Posted Dec 04, 2013 08:18 AM

Thanks alot for the response. :smileyhappy:

Oliver