Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Clients connecting to AP's further away from them

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Clients connecting to AP's further away from them

Posted Apr 30, 2012 04:16 PM

I have a situation where clients are connecting to AP's that are further away from them with a lower signal.  There are AP's that are closer to them with better signal but they never connect to those AP's.  We are not running Sprectrum Load Balancing but we have band steering running.

• 2.  RE: Clients connecting to AP's further away from them

Posted Apr 30, 2012 04:25 PM

In newer ArubaOS code, there is a knob called "Local Probe Request Threshold" under the SSID profile.  If you set that to 20 or 25 (the SNR of a client must be better than this number or the AP will stop listening to the probe requests), clients that are far away SHOULD roam to a more local (and better signal) AP.

• 3.  RE: Clients connecting to AP's further away from them

Posted Apr 30, 2012 08:29 PM

The "Local Probe Request Threshold" is currently set to 20.  Should I bump that up to 25?

• 4.  RE: Clients connecting to AP's further away from them

Posted May 01, 2012 07:47 AM

Would this also apply to any VoIP SSID's?

Thanks,

William

• 5.  RE: Clients connecting to AP's further away from them

Posted May 01, 2012 10:56 AM

Yes, it should apply to all SSIDs where you have good coverage and want to ensure clients connect to APs that are in their area.

• 6.  RE: Clients connecting to AP's further away from them

Posted May 01, 2012 10:56 AM

If you have good coverage, I would say you could get away with 25 (but not knowing your coverage, I hesitate a little).  If your clients can get better than 25 SNR every where they go, then by all means, set it.  If you have areas where you don't have that coverage, you will see issues.