Wireless Access

Contributor I

Clients connecting to AP's further away from them

I have a situation where clients are connecting to AP's that are further away from them with a lower signal.  There are AP's that are closer to them with better signal but they never connect to those AP's.  We are not running Sprectrum Load Balancing but we have band steering running.

Aruba Employee

Re: Clients connecting to AP's further away from them

In newer ArubaOS code, there is a knob called "Local Probe Request Threshold" under the SSID profile.  If you set that to 20 or 25 (the SNR of a client must be better than this number or the AP will stop listening to the probe requests), clients that are far away SHOULD roam to a more local (and better signal) AP.

Contributor I

The "Local Probe Request Threshold" is currently set to 20.  Should I bump that up to 25?

Contributor I

Would this also apply to any VoIP SSID's?

Thanks,

William

Aruba Employee

If you have good coverage, I would say you could get away with 25 (but not knowing your coverage, I hesitate a little).  If your clients can get better than 25 SNR every where they go, then by all means, set it.  If you have areas where you don't have that coverage, you will see issues.

Aruba Employee

Yes, it should apply to all SSIDs where you have good coverage and want to ensure clients connect to APs that are in their area.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: