Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Competing wireless AP in environment

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Competing wireless AP in environment

Posted Jan 30, 2014 09:50 AM

Hi,

Our theater system technician wants to place a separate wireless AP in our theater for his devices to conect to.  I know this is going to have some affect on our wireless infrastructure since we have APs in this area.  The questions is will this be possible?  I'm thinking that both systems are going to be adversely affected. 

Any ideas on how we could get this to work?  Thanks

• 2.  RE: Competing wireless AP in environment

Posted Jan 30, 2014 10:24 AM

It wouldn't necessarily cause a problem, as long as its on a channel that isnt interfering with the Arubas. One thing to bear in mind is that it will get classified as a Rogue so if you have WIPS policies enabled, you may end up blocking it from working.

Sensible question to ask is why can't he connect to the Arubas? Can you offer him his own SSID in that area? He could be doing all sorts on your network that you may not want!

• 3.  RE: Competing wireless AP in environment

Posted Jan 30, 2014 12:53 PM

From my point of view I would not want him to do that as his APs will interfered with the rest of the APs. As mention eariler use the same set of APs and give him another SSID or same SSID with different roles. Doing the hard way will be tunning power down and making sure channels interference is not there etc.